How can u tell which LCD you have on an Sprint HTC Evo 4g?

1. peakcelln

peakcelln Member

Looking to buy an Lcd for a Sprint HTC Evo 4g. I notice there are at least two different kinds(Maybe 3). How do you know whether or not you need the narrow flex or the wide flex LCD without opening it? I need to still use the phone and cannot wait once its apart. Please let me know ASAP. Thanx!!!

Advertisement
  2. _Epic

_Epic Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, there is no way to tell unless you take it apart. I am a Sprint Service Tech, so of course I have been trying to find anyway to see which one it is without taking it apart but no luck.
  3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

There is a number of commands that one can run through that will tell which screen it is. I will do my best to find the info tomorrow.
  4. Correct. Or you can add the stock Power Control widget, press the brightness button. If it fades gradually, you have a Nova, if it fades instantly, you have an Epson.

However, I believe the OP is talking about the ribbon connector, not the actual screen type. And that can only be found out by taking the phone apart.
  5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

ahh..true true
  6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

If you go to HBOOT (boot loader) it will tell you which screen you have as well. No need to take it apart.

EDIT: oops - if you're talking about the ribbon then you need to open it up.
  7. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

theres actually a command you enter via the terminal emulator that either makes the system do a bunch of checks or not based on the command. You type in a command with "nova" somewhere in the command line or "acer" and depending on which one yeilds the result of a bunch of checks being performed tells you which one you have... a forum jedi once told me how to do it a while back, but cant recall the commands.... lemme see if i can get those command lines again:)
  8. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

as far as ive seen, theres only 2 manufactorers of the screens to date.
    Mr. Ed likes this.
  9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

two manufacturers but I think there are at least three ribbons
  10. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

okay, heres what i got... go into terminal emulator and type the following command: dmesg | grep -i novatec and then hit enter, if that doesnt make the system do a bunch of checks, then replace the novatec with epson. hope it works for you :D oh, just noticed that the character after dmesg looks like a capital i, but its the character above the enter key on your computer keyboard that looks like a colon but is vertical dashes instead of dots :D
  11. _Epic

_Epic Well-Known Member

There are two ribbons, Auo and Sharp. One is larger than the other. There is no way to tell which ribbon it is without taking the phone apart.
  12. BHalbrooks

BHalbrooks Well-Known Member

What's the difference?
  13. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

the screen diff is qualitative, and the ribbon is likely the same. The epson has a quicker reaction time to screen on/off commands, and the novatec has brightness issues when flashing certain roms. The cable diff seems like it could be longevity, but im just takin a guess there
  14. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

i musta missed this post... sorry, i guess i took the title of the thread too literally lol
  15. mlbaldwin78

mlbaldwin78 New Member

There IS in fact a way to tell which ribbon you have without having to take apart your evo 4g. all you have to do is take the battery out, in the bottom left corner of the battery compartment is where the ribbon connector is located. using a flashlight look in under the case, if you can see a little white bar... that is the corner of the connector making it a wide ribbon. if you cant see anything... its a narrow ribbon. it is a little tricky to see/find but once you do and know what to look for its pretty easy.