How can you backup froyo phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. bass2rez

bass2rez Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Everyone,

I am concerned that were something to happen to my phone, an HTC Desire, during updates and app installs for instance, that I would lose everything. So my simple question is, how can you back up a froyo HTC Desire phone?

I am aware that the Privacy -> Backup option has mysteriously disappeared from the Settings menu, and that in order to see it, you need to do the following:

Menu -> Settings -> Search -> Searchable Items ->

- Web (untick)
    - Settings (tick)

Now, you need to click the Search button and search for Privacy. You should then see the Privacy- HTC global search item.

Select this and Backup and Restore appears, with the following options:
    - Back up my settings
    - Automatic restore

Some questions I have relating to this missing feature are:

- Why is this setting completely hidden? Are we not supposed to use it?

- Does it actually work? Has anyone successfully used it?

- When you select to Back up my settings nothing appears to happen. The phone does not appear to start syncing, so how do you know if anything has been backed up? How long should you wait after selecting the option before knowing that you have a backup available?

- Where is the data stored? Can you verify it?

I find it rather strange that I cannot find the answers to these questions in the public domain, so I am asking them here, in case anyone has any insights into it all.

Ignoring the above "missing" option, are there any other ways to successfully back up my phone using 3rd party apps? Which ones work with froyo?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Steve

Advertisement
  2. GuitarDemon

GuitarDemon Member

I assume your phone's not rooted. I'd root the phone, and use Titanium Backup from the market.

3. alackman

alackman Well-Known Member

Hi, i dont know the answers to any of your other questions but to the one above, if after you have ticked the boxes of backup and automatically restore, you then go back to the options and uncheck it, a box comes up to ask if you want to really do this and "delete from google servers" so I guess this is where backups are stored?

4. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member

Interesting, in Android 2.1 it backed things up to the SD card, not Google's servers. It was always a fairly limited back-up anyway (text messages and some settings if I remember correctly).

If, like me, you don't want to root your phone, there are two options that I'm considering at the moment:
    1) Dropbox. This allows you to back-up files to a remote server (2GB of space for "free").
    2) ASTRO. This will allow you to access files on your wireless network, so presumably back-up files to your network drive. ES File Explorer seems to have similar functions.

I don't know how automated any of these programs are, but they're worth considering.

Most of the back-up programs that I've found just back-up to the SD card, not to external drives or servers.

5. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

6. bass2rez

You are correct, my phone is not rooted. I dont feel I am familiar enough with my phone and Android to want to go down this path just yet. Thanks for the tip regarding Titanium Backup, if I root my phone I will check that out.

Cheers,
    Steve

7. bass2rez

Yes, I noticed this too. It was this fact that made me wonder how long you need to wait before knowing the phone is backed up. I find it amazing that Google aren't stating exactly what gets backed up, and how you can check that it is properly backed up. I'm not comfortable with blindly relying on someone else do do something on my behalf with no means to verify it.

Cheers,
    Steve

8. bass2rez

Hi Rob,

It sounds as if you are in much the same situation as me. I will investigate Dropbox, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am in trusting my data to a 3rd party company I know nothing about. Perhaps I am too un-trusting for my own good ;)

I already have Astro File Manager installed, but I haven't realised I could use it to copy files to my network. That could be an option, assuming I can find out what I need to back up.

I don't mind backing up to SD card, as I can then find the backup file and copy it elsewhere. I would much prefer to do this and not rely on "cloud" backups.

Thanks for your ideas though, they are certainly worth considering.

Cheers,
    Steve

9. bass2rez

Do you use this app yourself, and have you had cause to test that a restore works?

There seems to be mixed reviews on the success or failure of the product, so I'm not sure whether to commit the fee for this, unless i know it works properly.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will investigate this app, because it does claim to do what I've requested.

Cheers,
    Steve

10. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

I use it to backup once a day, to my sd and thank God I haven't needed it yet (wish I had had it when I did need to reset though).

Here's a link to the lite version:

MyBackup - Android app on AppBrain

11. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member

I don't blame you for being cautious trusting your data to a third party, but a bit of research on the web should bring up enough reviews for you to make an informed decision. From what I've read about DropBox so far, it seems OK. Thinking about what most people have stored on the phone, do we really need a back-up solution?

Contacts: Synchronised with Google, and therefore with Outlook on my PC.
    Calendar: Synchronised with Google, and therefore with Outlook on my PC.
    Tasks: Synchronised with Google, and therefore with Outlook on my PC.
    E-mails: Synchronised with my e-mail servers, and therefore with Outlook on my PC.
    Music: Copied from my network drive, so it's already backed up (plus I still have the CDs).
    Pictures: I normally upload them to Flickr after I've taken them.
    Videos: I normally upload them to YouTube after I've taken them.

I wouldn't count Flickr and YouTube as a proper back-up (and a back-up in only one place isn't a very good back-up), but they're better than nothing.

Apart from any other apps that you might have installed, that leaves only text messages and bookmarks that aren't already backed up. Text messages were definitely backed up to the SD card in Android 2.1. I don't know about Android 2.2.

I'll have a look at MyBackUp-Pro, but I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't really need to bother.