• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can you get your Favorite Contacts when opening the phone?

I don't know if this is phone-specific. I have a Sprint HTC Hero. When I press the phone button, I get the call log, and then I can click over to Favorites to get my most-used contacts. It would be perfect if when I click on the phone button, it would default to my favorites instead of the call log. Is this possible? Thanks! :)

I can't tell if that's a serious response .....

We apologize for the (now removed by a Moderator) useless response to your question, GatorDeb.

As to your very good question, changing the default opening area on "phone" is not possible in 2.1. Perhaps there will be a modification option in the 2.2 menu when that update eventually arrives. ;)

Upvote 0
If you otherwise like your Hero, you're stuck with it as it is unless an app comes along, or a root hack in either 2.1 or 2.1.

In other models the "phone" button defaults to the dialer; in the Fascinate, for example, there are no hard buttons (other than power and volume on the sides of the device), and the phone dialer is accessed via either an app icon or a dock button configured by the user, etc.

These are the things that buyers might want to think about when at the store looking over the various devices. ;)

Upvote 0
I am in love with my phone and it was only $100 on Craigslist out of contract =) But if it defaults to the dialer and you can't change it to favorites then we're back to the same thing. It'd be great if you got to customize what shows up when you press phone on any phone. You have all these amazing things you can do on Android and someone overlooked the most basic lol I wonder if I could contact Google and ask for that feature ...........

Upvote 0
You have all these amazing things you can do on Android and someone overlooked the most basic lol
There are countless "basic" features that aren't in Android. The OS isn't going to cover every single possibility that every single user could come up with (just as no OS/device would be able to) despite what many Android n00bs apparently seems to think. The real power with Android is its extensibility and versatility. Even if there isn't currently a solution for you that doesn't mean that it isn't possible whereas you'd be out of luck with some other smartphones.

I wonder if I could contact Google and ask for that feature ...........
Absolutely. I don't have the link handy but a Google search should turn up the site for submitting Android-related suggestions and problems to Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones