how come i can only move some apps to sd card?

Last Updated:

1. james_uk

james_uk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, i am running 2.2 and was under the impression i could install all apps on sd card now if i wnated, although i have never seen an option when installing apps asking if i want to install to phone or sd card.

today i got a further update from orange and after it downloaded i got a prompt saying i have to reseve at least 25mb free space and only have 20mb free.

It took me to the manage apps tool which i then seen i can manually move apps to sd card, but i noticed i could only move about 25% of my apps, most appeared grayed out so i couldn't, some where only games as well or basic apps, how come i cannot just move these to sd card?

And does anyone know if it makes operating or using the app slower by having it on the sd card?

James

Advertisement
  2. tricksy_rabbit

tricksy_rabbit Active Member

You can only move an app to the SD card like that if the creator of the app has enabled that functionality, and on the majority of apps either it's not enabled, or the app wouldn't work properly from the SD card. I don't think it slows it down to come from the card, but some widgets don't work properly if the corresponding app is on the SD card.

There is a way to force apps to go to the SD card even if the creator hasn't enabled that function, it's explained more here: http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/160560-force-apps-install-sd-without-root.html

3. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

Developers have to enable this functionality in their apps. I guess most smart phones have greater phone memory than the desire and of course alot of people have rooted so developers have been a bit lazy about spending the time doing this.

Its a shame but desire is no longer top dog when it comes to internal space, if it ever was.

Shame the desire hd wasn't a desire clone with same screen size, better battery, better screen resolution, better camera, better speakers, next gen tegra 2 processor. That would have been amazing.

Still I love my desire until the next wave if mega phones come out. I not a brand loyal type of person so unless htc get their heads straight, they will lose my custom if they rest on their recent success and don't innovate anymore. I'm talking hardware wise not do much software as they seem quite good at that :)

4. wickesy

wickesy Member