• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How come no good wine applications?

Just thought I'd give this post some lovin, I came across an awesome wine application and felt the need to share my thoughts on it. =) I love wine.

Yes Swirl is the best one I've come across and they have recently introduced tagging. I was surprised there were not more apps related to wine. I wish they would use standard Android UI templates though I hate apps that stick out like a sore thumb.

For anyone technically minded, we are talking about the drink, not the ability to run Windows applications under Linux :D

Upvote 0
Hi everybody,

I like Swirl, but I wrote it so I might be biased. Just out of curiosity, what else would you like the app to do? What do you think it does well now and what could it do better?
To be honest, the order that features get added to Swirl are largely request/feedback driven, and the feedback has been great.

thanks for your help
-Sashi

Upvote 0
Last rites hit one of my thoughts already, a bar code scanner that pulls up the search information would save a lot of time.

Rather than just the under 20 dollar categories I would add in say 20 to 50 and 50 and up. You can kinda paste in your own numbers but the idea is a low/mid/high range.

In search as often as not there is nothing other than the label to be found and as I use the search function I am already in the store holding the bottle in my hand and already know what the label says. Most labels are not incredibly helpful in determining how the wine was made and the other factors that will tell if a bottle might be one I might enjoy. This last one is a tough one because I do not know how you come up with this information in an app of this scope but its something that would make it much more valuable to me.

Being able to keep track of what I already have cellared would be nice.

Things I like. It works. Seriously, there are plenty of apps that have issues but this one appears to be hashed out, It has never force closed or caused any problems. The layout is is good, simple intuitive succinct. When I do hit paydirt with it it works well.

Upvote 0
A couple of things I'd like to see...

Search by Region (selection list not free search)

More non-US wines

Reverse pairing - We can already pair food with wine, it would be nice to be able to pair wine with food. I know you can use free seach but again it would be nice to browse a list.

Another wise a great app and the new theme is much nicer than the old one.

Upvote 0
Hi all -
I just recently got a galaxy tab and have been perusing wine guide apps. Swirl is ok but for me I want to know that the recomendations are coming from an actual person who tries the wine and gives their opinion. There are a lot of wine guides out there that seem more or less soul-less data crunching.

I do not mean to spam (if I am then mods feel free to edit and please accept my apologies) but you have to view it to know what Im getting at. This app is limited to argentine wines but its more along the line of a more personal touch, because it goes with a blog wineguideargentina dot net called Santiago's Wine Guide Argentina although I'd like to know a bit more about Santiago and his wine expertise.

The app can be downloaded from android market for free use key words wine guide argentina

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones