• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HOW could they!? prevent apps from modifying external storage?

InGearX

Android Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2011
can anyone please explain why did 4.4 update prevent apps from modifying external storage? yet can modify internal storage ..

this is terribly inconvenient..

3509902a2e7299a7389fc1f8e265dced.jpg

i just can not wrap my head around it ..

thank you ..

The app developer is too lazy to update their code to comply with the required read/write permissions for Android v4.4.

It's much easier for them to plop a silly message on the screen.

Dump the developer's app until they get their junk together...
mate

i want to view and delete pictures i took with a camera!

any 3rd party app is now prevented from doing that

Upvote 0
i want to view and delete pictures i took with a camera!

The built-in camera or another external camera?

any 3rd party app is now prevented from doing that

How did the pictures get there in the first place? If taken by the phone's camera then opening Gallery and long-pressing to select should allow deletion. If copied from an external source then the same method should also let you delete them.

Upvote 0
Mate, which app are you using to view/delete your pics?
Is that the third party app you are referring to?
yes any third party app is prevented from doing that

lets take a look at the scenario

imagine all of a sudden on Windows all your image viewing apps were useless ..

in fact all apps that tried to write to HD!!

they should provide an option to disable this (read o.ly protection) for advanced users (tbat do not instal BS apps that currupt data)

(in my screenshot it is one of top pic view...apps: QickPic.. but couls be any of dozen best applications .... there is no work around they can make)

Upvote 0
The built-in camera or another external camera?

How did the pictures get there in the first place? If taken by the phone's camera then opening Gallery and long-pressing to select should allow deletion. If copied from an external source then the same method should also let you delete them.
mate I take pictures with regular built in camera and regular app.. on Galaxy Note 3

they are written to SD card..

now any app that tries to edit them/delete them fails :/

==================

yes any third party app is prevented from doing that

lets take a look at the scenario

imagine all of a sudden on Windows all your image viewing apps were useless ..

in fact all apps that tried to write to HD!!

they should provide an option to disable this (read o.ly protection) for advanced users (tbat do not instal BS apps that currupt data)

(in my screenshot it is one of top pic view...apps: QickPic.. but couls be any of dozen best applications .... there is no work around they can make)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones