How did you get to your N1?

Last Updated:

1. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

It's a slow Friday morning so I thought I would ask the question: How did you get to your N1?

I started off this whole crazy with a Motorola beeper. I remember paging people with numberical code (my beeper at the time only did numbers) so hello nexus users would be: 43550 63987 87377.

My beeper looked similar to this but with a smaller screen (it's hard to find pictures of old technology):

[​IMG]

I then moved to an Audiovox that for the life of me I couldn't find a picture of it. It was a big phone with a pull up antenna. It worked well and I got good reception. I think I paid $40 on contract for it.

After the Audiovox came the Nextel crazy when I was in high school. Everyone had one which made it a good decision to get since you could 2-way all your friends:

i90

[​IMG]

i730

[​IMG]

Then came the i860 which was a big deal because it had the front color screen, which didn't do much, but was awesome:

[​IMG]

After this the novelty of the nextel was starting to wear off and I was really looking to get something new. On a trip I ment someone from England who had a Sony Ericsson phone and I really like it, the build quality was very high, you could add music to it, it was pretty awesome, so I jumped off the nextel bandwagon and signed up with Cingular (which a few months later was taken over by At&t) and purchased an w810i:
    [​IMG]

It had a really nice camera with flash, took excellent movies, and was nice and light. That phone served me really well and after two years when my contract up I was ready to move up to the smart phone arena and picked up an iPhone 3G. I waited 3 hours in line for one about a month after the phone was released:

[​IMG]

And now I have my N1. It's funny seeing and remembering all the technology I went through to get here. I remember when I got the nextels and they were the latest and greatest. I would show it off just like I show off the N1 now. If I had to list my favorite three it would be in this order:

1. N1
    2. w810
    3. iPhone 3g

The N1 sits at the top not only because it's the top of the line technology but I also thinks its one of the most innovated phones I have purchased.

How did the rest of you guys get to this point?

Advertisement
  2. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Just for clarification, it was AT&T which changed their name to Cingular when they took over and then, due to many complaints about customer service (which was WAY WORSE than it is now) changed their name back to AT&T for brand recognition and re-adopted more original AT&T policies. I know because I worked for AT&T Wireless back in those days.

Anyhow.

I used to be with Sprint, many many years ago and had several phones with them, most dumb, but ended up with Smart Phones (PPC6700). After that, I moved to Houston for a year and jumped to Nextel since that was what everyone around me had at the time. Novelty at best, but was practical then.

Came back up here, went back to Sprint, but my new girlfriend was on AT&T, just as the iPhone came out, I switched again and got one... Mistake, but I did it.

Sold the iPhone for an HTC Fuze and thought I was doing good... Then I started working at T-Mobile and everyone around me had this Android thing. Sold the Fuze and jumped on that ship.

Went to the MyTouch and now the Nexus One.

Now, I still test many many phones for T-Mobile and have a mobile graveyard of over 100 phones, many not released for sale, and many that have been.

I did some work (I repair/mod XBox 360's and Wii's on the side) and managed to work out a deal to get another Nexus One for no money, so now I have a spare. :)

Not as detailed as your story, but I don't have the time or the memory to go through the hundreds of phones I have had in the past... LOL!

3. berig

berig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Motorola v220

First phone that I got was sometime around 2004, one of the first generation camera phones. Basic $30 voice plan (which I still have), pay as you go texting, etc.

[​IMG]
    Samsung Sync (SGH-A707)

This one I got sometime in 2006, and was a pretty good phone. Had a decent camera on it, and was probably half as thin as the motorola.

[​IMG]
    Samsung Eternity (SGH-A867)

Was pretty happy with the samsung sync, so I decided to try out another one. This was a late 2007 when touch screens first started getting popular. Everyone always mistook it for a first-gen iphone which I didn't get because I didn't want to have to upgrade my voice and data plans, but I did get the basic unlimited plan. This phone actually served me very well. Many people complained about it because it never received any updates, but I didn't really have any expectations for that when I made my purchase. There were some severe out-of-the-box limitations such as java apps couldn't really access any of the phone's api's such as the gps, or memory cards, but the forum community was able to develop workarounds so google maps worked perfectly.

As the androids started gaining popularity though, I was looking to get one, but AT&T didn't seem to have anything good coming anytime soon. The only one that looked promising was, and still is to me, was the Galaxy S Captivate, but there were a few aesthetic features on that phone that I didn't care for. I had the nexus one in my shopping cart a few times before I purchased it, but one of my classmates got one and so I was able to actually see it and feel it before I got it which was the deal maker.

4. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

I blew through so many cellphones that I dont even remember half of them. My first one as that classical rectangular brick nokia phone that had the legendary snake game on it. haha. then went on to a motorola phone that was shaped like a peanut. then in the 2000's I would buy up every single phone out there and kept selling my old ones like once every few months.. I had like PDA phones by palm.. phones with nokia's symbianOS (which was an incredible "smart" phone at the time btw) then finally moved to the golden age with going through a few windows mobile phones made by dopod(htc) before finally landing on the iphone. then I got the G1 afterwards, then went back to the iphone 3g, before now finally arriving at the Nexus one. doesn't progression feel good? :)

5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I was never really INTO phones, they were simply a mean for me to communicate with my friends or family and only when I MUST. So I never went for the newest and latest phones, any phone did for me...ie. must be very cheap!

My first phone, a gift from my sister when I went to university in 2003, was a Siemens C25. A very cute little thing.
    [​IMG]

The next phone, when I got my first 'real paying job' in 2006, was a Samsung X480 :)
    [​IMG]

2009, my contract was up so I wanted what I considered an iPhone wannabe, the LG Vu...it was a semi smart phone. I really liked it and thought it was a very big step up from my previous phones.
    [​IMG]

End of 2009, I lost my Vu on a shopping expedition (I should have realized shopping was evil) and was devastated. I still had over 2 years on my contract (damn 3 years contract) so I couldn't get a *free* phone from the carrier.

I started researching for phones, seeing which one I like and can afford. Fell in love with the SE X10, read that it would run on an OS call Android, was curious so started researching on what Andriod is and simply fell in love with the *idea* of the OS and knew my next phone HAD to be Android. I waited and waited and waited for SE to release the X10 and with each passing month, my patience wanned.

By Feburary Google released the AT&T N1 which was compatible with my carrier. So after a couple of weeks of deliberation...get the N1 or wait for the X10...and then SE dropped the bomb of bad news that the X10 would be released on 1.6...that and the fact that I didn't want to add more years onto my contract, I got the N1. I am soooo happy with my decision!!! I'm not really utilizing my Nexus to its full potential but as I spluge on the phone...my requirement for getting the N1 was that I would't get a data plan. [​IMG]

And that is my phones' life story (yes it's very short compare to everyone's else). I know I don't need to put the N1 photo...but I couldn't resist :p Notice how the pictures slowly got bigger! lol

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

[​IMG]

Phone stories:

The MicroTac was my first mobile phone and because at the time i was driving extensively for business, I always justified the need as a safety measure for my wife. Ironically, one of the first calls I ever made was when I hit a patch of ice and slid into a ditch. First the tow truck, then the wife. She said i jinxed myself.

The Nokia 6110 was always on my belt in a leather holster. I dropped the thing so many times that the antenna broke off. I was able to glue and duct tape the antenna back on and it worked.

The 3360 was my solution to the dropping and breaking the antenna off issue. It was an okay phone and the first that was able to sent SMS messages.

The 6800 with the flip out keyboard was to permit me to text more rapidly and accurately. I never got the hang of texting on a keypad. In theory it was good, in practice i never really used it that much. I did accidentally drive over this phone in a Home Depot parking lot (it must have fallen out of my pocket) and other than a few scratches and some gravel embedded in the screen, it still worked.

The shine was a beauty. All metal and glass, it felt substantial but was still small enough to pocket (yeah, and it was only three years ahead of the iPhone 4) . Its design made very hard to text with, but I am not a heavy texter.

The incite ... um ... WinMo 6.1 ... um ... WHAT WAS I SMOKING???

Each phone was an improvement and I expect that trend to continue up to the point where I get a quadband GSM transmitter implanted subcutaneously. At that point we will no longer text people, we will "thought" them.

7. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

I started with a Motorola MicroTac - awesome phone, tough as hell. Mine survived a drop down 3 storeys of concrete stairs (just had to glue it back together) and saved me from a beating (first guy to hit me got the extended battery pack to the nose ;)).

Since then... I offer this incomplete list in Manufacturer order.

Apple iPhone 3G

HTC G1
    HTC Magic

iMate KJAM

LG KU990 Viewty

Motorola V600

Nokia 3310
    Nokia 6110
    Nokia N80

Palm Pre

Samsung A800
    Samsung D500

Siemens MC60

Sony W760i
    Sony W850i

Got the Nexus One in February.. It's now the longest I've kept the same phone for at least the last 5 years :D (although I still have the HTC Magic as a spare).

8. skytechnetwork.com

skytechnetwork.com Active Member

The first of my phone is Sony Ericsson K750i, next I am using Nokia N80, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G and Nexus One :D

9. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

Nokia 1100 -> Nokia N-Gage QD -> Nexus One.

10. talksinmaths

talksinmaths Active Member

The nexus is the first phone that I got first hand. Before that I had my family's hand me down phones getting a new one when the previous one broke.

I think they were: Siemens a55 (loved this phone, had it for years)-->RAZR-->some samsung piece of shit-->nexus one

I was pretty obsessed with android since the rumours about the google phone, but was stuck on my family's att plan. But the nexus was sure worth the wait.

11. phlojo

phlojo Well-Known Member

My history:

- Nokia 5165
    - Motorola v60
    - Motorola v60i
    - Motorola v600
    - Motorola v535
    - Motorola v8
    - Nexus One.

12. kellc

kellc Member

my first cell phone was around 2003. i got whatever nokia phone was free from at&t. i think my mom still uses this phone!
    [​IMG]

2 years later i got a really small nokia candy bar phone. it's funny thinking back to that time when all i wanted was for my phone to be as tiny as possible. it was actually a nice phone.
    [​IMG]

then i got a samsung slider. i thought the slide thing was so slick.
    [​IMG]

next came the iphone 3g. it was the first phone i spent money on, and the first one i complained about a lot.

it got stolen right out of my hand while i was riding to work one morning on the subway.
    [​IMG]

i replaced the iphone with the blackberry bold. it isn't the most fun phone to use, but i've had it a few years and have liked it pretty well.
    [​IMG]

i ordered my N1 last week, and it should arrive today! i'm really excited, and am pretty convinced i will love it.

13. arrison

arrison Member

Started with a Philips c12
    [​IMG]

Then upgraded to a Nokia 3210

[​IMG]

From that, went to a Samsung a300

[​IMG]

Then a Nokia 7110

[​IMG]

And from that, to a Nokia 8310

[​IMG]

After that, a Sony Ericsson t630i

[​IMG]

Then, a Nokia 6230

[​IMG]

Followed by a Sony Ericsson k800i

[​IMG]

And after that, another Nokia, the n95

[​IMG]

That was followed by my first touchscreen phone, the Nokia 5800

[​IMG]

Which I upgraded from last month to the Nexus One. I may have missed some out on that list, Im sure I had more than one Samsung but cant remember what the other one was, or when.

14. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Well I havn't been in the cellphone market for too long yet, but I'll try to be as complete as possible.

1. An old worn-out, barely functional Ericsson
    [​IMG]

I don't think I even had a SIM card yet and I think this was more of a way to keep me from nagging for a real cellphone, just my dad's hand-down phone.

2. My first REAL cellphone: the Nokia 3210
    [​IMG]

A "my first cellphone" nokia model which pretty much everyone I know has owned at some point.
    It was really cool though because well, you know, you could play snake and text with it :D

3. The 3210's successor was the 3310, but I got the 3330 because I was just a little bit cooler then everyone else:
    [​IMG]

Nokia was basically market leader in our country for quite some time and pretty much the only decent phones available where nokia for like a decade. I think this had WAP, which opened this cool, although forbidden (waay too expensive :p) world of mobile internet (or what they passed off as mobile internet in the days). And ofc: SPACE IMPACT which I possibly played even more then snake.

4. Guess what, another Nokia: 3510i
    [​IMG]

The 'i' meant it had colours and polyphonic ringtones, ooooh shiiit sonn.. remember how polyphonic ringtones CHANGED EVERYTHING?! Not. But it was pretty hyped back then :p
    This cellphone actually got ran over by multiple cars and all it had where some scratches and loose buttons, slapped on another cover and it served me well for another year or 2.

5. Nokia 6230i
    [​IMG]

Mediocre phone, I bought it for it's extended functionality but the build quality wasn't great and it finally woke me up and made me realize nokia was starting to decline.. I didn't keep this phone very long.

6. This is it.
    [​IMG]

This is the Sony Ericsson W810i. To me this is to date the best mobile phone (not smartphone) in the history of all mobile phones.
    My first ericsson was kinda crap, so migrating to this from nokia was a bit of a leap.. But I couldn't beleive how this phone was SOO MUCH BETTER then anything I had ever known.
    Amazing build quality (the things it has endured..), awesome screen (high res, light sensor,..), sweet camera (2MP but very HQ lens, fast and accurate autofocus, cellphone pics unlike anything ever seen at that time). Very intu

15. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

generic samsung flip phone --> t-mo sidekick --> t-mo sidekick 2 --> htc sda --> htc dash --> nexus one

Never looked back, although the sidekick 2 and htc dash were pretty damn good phones for their time. I don't even consider the nexus one as a phone anymore. It is a freaking mini computer, the phone part is just the bells and whistle...I prob spend more time using it for content and media than I do as a communication device. O.O

16. clutchy

clutchy Well-Known Member

i'm 30 and where i went to college we didn't have cell service back in 2000-2004 so i didn't want nor need a cellphone. I got one when i graduated a kyocera something or other on VZW..

then i went to the razor on ATT then the iphone 3g then the N1 on ATT.

sold iphone 3g in march for $360

i bought an iphone 4 when they came out and promptly sold it. My N1 hasn't cost me a penny so far. Although i am now locked to my carrier for another 2 years. I almost don't care though b/c i have the service and the phone i want.