1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How do i access internal memory on a password protected android with a non functioning screen

1. daxritz

daxritz Member

I still have my old Samsung Galaxy S and I have a lot of files I want to access.
    I have not enabled USB Debugging, It is pin protected, and the screen is cracked and not functioning - just black screen. Plugging the phone into the computer through USB wont show the phone drive on my computer unless i enter the pin on the phone - which i cant.

Anyone know of a way for me to retrieve the files.

Thank you :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

I think you got a brick. Unless the data you want is on the sd card, that is. USB transfer only sees the sd card
  3. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Are you rooted? Can you get into recovery? There should be an option in recovery to mount sdcard and then you can adb into it. Or use android commander and push or pull files from it while its in recovery
  4. nickdalzell

If he is referring to USB file transfer, rooted or not it will only give access to the sd card, not internal memory. So the solution is finding a micro-SD adapter and taking the sd card out and use the adapter plugged into a PC and copy the contents from it that way. The only things in internal memory are the OS and apps, and settings. Caches and the like. Personal data is often on the sd card by design
  5. daxritz

daxritz Member

I am refering to the internal memory using usb file transfer. I have some data i want. I connect the phone to the computer with a usb but the phone internal memory wont show unless i enter the pin number i had set up for security.
  6. nickdalzell

if you find out how i'd also like that, i got a busted up D2 Pad that is in the same boat. if i could access internal i could back up the apps and use the APKs to install onto a new tablet
  7. pedroc1999

pedroc1999 Well-Known Member

what kind of password is it.

try this find a picture on the web of the unlock screen and try typing the password (this will not work if touchscreen is broken, only if screen is.

once you do that do the same so you can get into the usb utilities menu and select usb masstorage

all this while guiding yourself based on pictures, good luck but it might work
  8. daxritz

daxritz Member

unfortunately it does not work... the whole screen is cracked and deep...still turns on but no way to access screen
  9. wickedC

wickedC Member

Replacing the digitizer and screen may be an option. Some of these are dirt cheap, but some are quite expensive on the bay- Samsung Galaxy S digitizer screen | eBay

Watch some of the videos on youtube about digitizer and screen replacement and see if it is something you want to try.