How do I access my internal memory via my PC?Support

Last Updated:

1. redgabe

redgabe Member

Hi,

How do I access my GS2 internal memory via my PC? I'd like to put my ringtones there. They are currently on the internal USB partition (11.5 GB) but every time I mount the phone to my PC, my ringtones change. I'm hoping if I can put them onto the internal memory, the problem will disappear. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

What do you mean your ringtones change? Do they actually change or does the phone just point to a different random ringtone?

If your ringtone just points to another one, the first thing I would look at is if your media scanning is getting stuck. If it is, then you may have a huge directory of files somewhere that it is getting stuck on. You can speed the process up by touching a file called .nomedia in any folder where you know you don't want the media scanner to look into (for music, videos etc)

if media scanning is ok I would try copy all your stuff out from your USB storage, format it in settings, storage, Erase USB Storage, then copy everything back in.

Other than that, last resort would be a factory reset.

By the way, in answer to your main question, you cannot access the internal memory unless you are rooted.
    If you are rooted, then you can access it with any root explorer app on the device, or by installing software such as DroidExplorer on your PC.
  3. redgabe

redgabe Member

Thanks Hawker, I am rooted and will try DroidExplorer.

In terms of my ringtones, I pick a custom ringtone and then my phone will then go back to the default ringtone that came with the phone. I don't know where that ringtone is stored but I suspect it is on the internal memory. How do I use .nomedia?
  4. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Well-Known Member

Where did you put the custom ringtone? My first thought would be that if it was say in the microSD card, it might be a problem with the card. That's why Hawker mentioned formatting the USB storage. The same applies to the microSD card.

Or if you used an app to make that ringtone, maybe the ringtone is in the app folder and the media scan isn't picking it up properly. Try putting it in a folder called Ringtones.
  5. redgabe

redgabe Member

Thanks Russell,

I have the ringtone in /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones
    this is not in the external sd card though. Thanks. Any help is appreciative.
  6. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Well-Known Member

Guess you have to do like what Hawker said. Try formatting the USB storage space where you have the ringtones. You can always copy the files out and place them back in after the reformat.

I place my ringtones in the external microSD card and its picked up just fine even from there.