How do I AVOID International Roaming Charges? Help!Support

Last Updated:

1. cman8882

cman8882 Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know/have experience with avoiding int'l roaming charges? I called verizon and the rep said that I would roam anytime my phone is on, and that I would incur charges, which is NOT what I want.

I don't need 3G or any other type of phone or data connection associated with the network. All I want to be able to do is use Fring/skype/googlevoice through a WiFi connection.

I've been reading and am getting confused with all this 'APN' on/off stuff. Can't I just put the phone in airport mode and connect to WiFi through my DINC? Please help!

Thanks....

Advertisement
  2. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

WiFi does work in Airplane mode.

3. dgold82

dgold82 Well-Known Member

4. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I live on the Canadian border. If you go to settings -> wireless & networks -> Wireless Network -> Network Select -> Home only, you will never connect to a roaming tower, and will never get hit with roaming charges.

5. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

+1 you beat me to it :p

6. tluv00

tluv00 Well-Known Member

So there is no Wireless Network option under wireless & networks only Mobile and the option under that is System select not network select. Of course it could be a different device you are talking all together but for the Inc it's:

menu -> settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks (not Mobile network) -> System Select -> Home Only

I have heard there is no data roaming charges in the states. Is that true? If not then should Data Roaming be disabled too?

7. cman8882

so by checking 'home' you can avoid data charges overseas?

8. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

How would you accrue data charges unless you have 3g on?

9. necosino

This will avoid ALL roaming charges. Overseas you won't have ANY service at all unless VZW has partnered with someone over there. Wifi will still be available where you can find it though.

If you just want to avoid data roaming, go into the same menu, leave network select alone, and just uncheck Data Roaming. This way you can still make calls/texts (roaming though).

10. cman8882

Just to clarify, I do not want voice or data service, I just need the WiFi connection to connect to the internet and use Google Voice/Fring.

The engadget article above states that any CDMA enabled phone will not work overseas, it says the ony option is to rent another phone. Does this mean you can't use WiFi on a CDMA-enabled device?

11. dgold82

dgold82 Well-Known Member

I don't see why you couldn't use Wifi overseas. I think the article is just saying that the CDMA radio won't work so even if you are willing to pay 5 dollars a minute you couldn't. AT&T and T-Mobile phones on the other hand would probably work since they are GSM.

Point is: Wifi is a totally separate radio and should work fine. Like the previous poster said--Wifi should work even on airplane mode. I remember taking my old Windows 6.1 sch-i760 to London and the wifi worked fine in the hotel I was staying in.

12. necosino

Alright, then all you have to do is set the network to Home only, and you'll be all set. However, this will drain your battery pretty fast, so just turn on Airplane Mode, too (so the radio stops looking).

Wifi will still work overseas, even in Airplane mode.

13. cman8882

So it will work overseas, that's good. Now, I won't be charged if in airplane mode? Just want to confirm this because I don't want thousands of dollars of charges

14. necosino

Just to be safe, change network select to "Home" This way, even if your phone comes out of airplane mode, it won't connect to a roaming tower. Turning on airplane mode just makes your phone stop searching for a tower, which will drain the battery really quickly.

This way you won't get ANY charges, and you can still use wifi :)

15. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused. Perhaps I missed something.

How could you get charged anything? What CDMA roaming tower could it possibly connect to when there is no CDMA in europe?

16. EagleBoy

EagleBoy Active Member

Cruise ship? (I'm reaching......)

17. necosino

They'd find a way :D lol.. this is Verizon we're talking about.. Better to play it safe (and save battery) than to risk the ridiculous fees they charge.