How do I back up my evo to linux ubuntu OS... w/o using gmail/ internet

Last Updated:

1. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any way I could take a complete 'picture' of my evo, save it to my hard drive, and then use it as a backup? I'm considering rooting but don't want to do that or even upgrade the phone before I have a good backup of everything.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

wondering the same thing.

I dual boot Win7 and Linux Mint, and really enjoy the quickness of Linux. But everything I see is always Windows or Mac.

Now that I think about it, i've never plugged my phone in when i was on Linux...going to grab cord now. lol I assume you can copy your SD card and transfer it back, but I think you have to do a Nandroid backup for the phone itself...the proceess is in the root threads (Read toasts method here, or on xda-developers )

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

One of the first steps in rooting is to use Titanium Backup. Save your user apps, save your desktop, prior to rooting.

You can go with the stock rooted rom and you'll have all your as-delivered system-classsifed apps.

As you go thru the process, you'll discover the adb tool - if you're comfortable with a command line, it's nearly perfect for shell access to your phone.

Take your time, follow your nose over to the xda forums, and read, read, read, read, read before rooting.

Find your sdcard at /mount (triple check me on that), use the cp command as needed rather than the cartoonery.

Use your noodle, read the directions repeatedly before starting - you'll get there.

With the latest OTA upgrade, you may find some additional hoops you'll need to jump thru.

Patience is your friend.

Skillet Liquor likes this.
  4. newone757

newone757 Well-Known Member

I use Ubuntu exclusively now (1st time ive ever ran it without a backup dualboot of windows to run back to, *gasp). And it wasnt too difficult to root and the first thing i did when i was done was a nandroid backup. And titanium backup is great, Im going to buy it soon so that i can batch reload my apps seamlessly at on time

5. Skillet Liquor

Skillet Liquor Member

I use Ubuntu exclusively (at home, anyway!) and hope I'll be able to sync once my Evo arrives, but it sounds like more of a cloud thing than an OS thing.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Crosspost from another thread: