• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I back up wifi passwords?

They should be backed up automatically to your Google account if you opt for that.

Sorry, I'm gonna jump in on OP's behalf :p

I know they're backed up on your account while you're on the same ROM (ie if you go out of range and come back, it automatically reconnects), but changing ROMs or any full-wipe situation will remove all network passwords. If there is a more advanced way of saving network passwords so they survive a full-wipe, I'm interested in knowing as well.

Also with saving APN information. Everytime I full-wipe, it identifies the Optus network apn, but I have to manually input the Virgin information everytime (know it off by heart!).

Upvote 0
If you've had enough of manually entering your apn's Kie you can use this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.APNBackupRestore&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yaXRlc2hzYWh1LkFQTkJhY2t1cFJlc3RvcmUiXQ..

You will have to use titanium backup to convert it to a system app to work on ics.

Awesome :D That's as good as I'm gonna get! Of course I need to download titanium first so I'll have to be in a wifi area but at least I don't need to manually enter it!

Upvote 0
If there is a more advanced way of saving network passwords so they survive a full-wipe, I'm interested in knowing as well.

As Shotgun84pupkact stated, they're backed up to the Google cloud if you use the Settings/Privacy/Backup & restore option.

Of course I need to download titanium first

Open TiBu, hit Menu/More/Create "update.zip"... Problem solved. ;)

Reactions: Kie
Upvote 0
As Shotgun84pupkact stated, they're backed up to the Google cloud if you use the Settings/Privacy/Backup & restore option.

Open TiBu, hit Menu/More/Create "update.zip"... Problem solved. ;)

Thanks Slug :D

Regarding the wifi, I have that option ticked already, but when I restore my google services, it still doesn't remember the password. Ah well, it's only one password.

So with Titanium, that creates a CWM installation file so I don't need to re-download? That sounds awesome! So much I don't know about that program :p I'm assuming it also saves the licence key there? Else I'd have to 'download' / 'install' it from the play store anyway.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm gonna jump in on OP's behalf :p

I know they're backed up on your account while you're on the same ROM (ie if you go out of range and come back, it automatically reconnects), but changing ROMs or any full-wipe situation will remove all network passwords. If there is a more advanced way of saving network passwords so they survive a full-wipe, I'm interested in knowing as well.

Also with saving APN information. Everytime I full-wipe, it identifies the Optus network apn, but I have to manually input the Virgin information everytime (know it off by heart!).

I just spotted this and realised it might answer my thread. Are you saying that despite having your wifi passwords backed up to Google that fi you go for a full-wipe even your backup won't be synced?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones