How Do I Backup My Rooted 2.2?

Last Updated:

1. loader

loader Member This Topic's Starter

My settings on my "backup assistant" are set to auto and they seem to be running OK for backing up my contacts and what not but is there a better way to backup my phone? A full restore method for my current setup and not the default/factory settings?

Thx

Advertisement
  2. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Just sync to google contacts and everything is saved there. No need to use that worthless memory hog Backup Assistant ever again. Mybackup pro is also grand.

3. Raryn

Raryn Well-Known Member

Except as far as I can tell, there is no way to (ever) turn off backup assistant short of doing a factory reset >.<

4. Bert336

Bert336 Well-Known Member

The only way to do this is either via Droid X Bootstrap or ROM manager, both found inside the Market. Once you have your backup you can go in and remove the apps off the phone and go from there. Other than that you will have to wipe and lose your "current setup".

5. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't remove the app because doing a system reset calls backup assistant during the initial config and could presumably freeze the phone entailing a full SBF file restore.

Instead, just don't ever activate it in the first place and it won't do anything.

6. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

7. bladebarrier

bladebarrier Well-Known Member

+1

Some ROMs even have the backup assistant removed, and I personally don't bother with it, either way.

You can back up your contacts by syncing them to google, and you can even be extra safe by going into contacts, hitting the menu, and backing them up in vcf format, to the SD card.

Then use the titanium backup pro to backup your apps, and settings. If you're going to be trying different ROMs though, you'll want to read up more on it, because sometimes you actually won't want to restore everything, as you may end up replacing system files that were altered for a reason, or are a newer version.