• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I change my camera firmware?

Long story short: My camera sucks. I don't even know why. My other friends have the same phone, but their cameras are absolutely fine (They look like 8mp photos) while mine are at the quality of 3.5mp or something.

I've checked my phone/CAM firmware and they are:

Cam FW ver: OCEE09
Phone FW ver: TBEC28

Aren't they supposed to be the same? How do I fix this and update the firmware? :(

Ok, here are some sample photos from SGS2 with fw SCEF02 (both cam and phone), and iphone 4 with stock camera and everything else stock i guess...

iphone 4 photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oh166td7m6z39sn/Photo 30.1.13. 21.06.35.jpg

Galaxy S2 photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/37u2piq4fa1xkrt/20130130_210528.jpg

iphone 4 with flash:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgxtdcs4tgq9v0f/iphone4.jpg

SGS2 with flash:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gzq5jw5quo6bsq/SGS2.jpg

I reflashed the firmware couple of times, going from scef02 over vcfa01, tbec28 and back to scef02.
My findings:
vcfa01 - autofocus stopped working. clicking always produced red focus square, but the lens itself didn't move to focus properly.
tbec28 - camera stopped working totally. screen was black, autofocusing was late to show the square, and camera sounds were late to playback; anyway the screen was black so it didn't really matter. The camera also "failed" couple of times, as in "force quit".
scef02 - camera is working again, autofocus works, but photos are blurry and colors are shite. back to square one...

Someone help me. And others with the same problem :)

Edit: included photos with flash.
Edit again: I pasted the wrong links...

Upvote 0
Hawker, I finally read the thread from a link you posted, but I'm afraid it wasn't that useful to me. It seems every device acts different with those camera firmwares. I compared two devices that are practically the same (same android version, same CSC and PDA codes (if these two matter), build number, etc, etc..) - one had VCFA camera firmware (with a perfectly good camera), and the other was SCEF02 (the device I posted photos from). When I flashed the second device to VCFA, camera actually stopped working. I have all of the fw versions, but it would take some time to go through all of them and test, so the last thing I did today was flash it to SCEE09, and it seems a little bit better than SCEF, but still far from perfect.
I even did a factory reset with data and cache wipe, but this just affected the phones overall speed. In the end, I think I'm gonna return this device because it's still in the warranty...
But I would like to try and put some custom rom on it, maybe you (or someone else) know if this will change the camera firmware?

Mirailecious, about reflashing the firmware: first, you put a file called "RS_M5LS.bin" from the specific firmware to your internal storage (I think it's a "mnt/sdcard/", I don't have an S2 with me right now...). Next thing to do is bring up the dialer and dial *#34971539# (be sure to clear the camera firmware menu from the task manager if you opened it earlier, before going for the update/reflash), then your versions should say something like:

Cam FW ver: OCEE09
Phone FW ver: VCFA01 (just an example)

The phone FW ver is the new file that you transferred to the root of internal storage; if you put the "RS_M5LS.bin" from a, say SCEE02 firmware, phone fw version will report SCEE02.
Cam and phone FW versions don't need to be the same; cam fw is the current fw, and the phone fw is the one that camera firmware will be updated to, if you decide to do so.

At this point, do a backup of your current camera firmware, just in case. You will find the option in camera firmware menu, I think it says "dump cam to phone", and I think it's the last option), it creates a file to /etc/firmware (though I'm not sure about this right now, but if you browse, you'll eventually find the RS_M5LS file somewhere).

Now just go for the "phone to cam write". Reflashing takes around 3-4 minutes, so it might be good to put your phone to airplane mode just to be sure no one calls you during the flashing. When it finishes it will ask you to reboot the device. Do so, and try the camera with the new firmware. And please, post your findings and photos if you can.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I have same a similar prob with my Galaxy Ace 4: My selfie camera is working but my main is'nt: When I try to open it it says: Warning! Server error. Restart your camera. I alreagy did everything suggested: Update your device, safe mode, turning device off and on, putting phone back to factory settings, emptyinf cameras data, forced to stop the camera , even got it for fixing but they said thet couldn't find any prob. Also here's a few acreencaps: (My phone version is btw. 4.4.4) So i hope u can help

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-25-16-27-47.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-25-16-27-47.png
    91 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones