How do I change white back ground in messaging and phone applications..?Support

Last Updated: 2013-08-13 12:28:36
  1. edward90

edward90 Well-Known Member

How do I change the white back ground in the conversation thread ?

Advertisement
  2. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

Be at the opening screen (the one that lists your conversations) and hit the soft menu button, settings, background style. I find the dark charcoal colored background is easier on the eyes than than black and is still fairly dark so seems to have little effect on battery versus black.
  3. edward90

edward90 Well-Known Member

Thank you..but that changes the background with in a text thread ..but what I'm talking about is the conversation list..or list of open chats ..the background is white .
  4. crabman

Ah, sorry, not sure on that one.
  5. yousmell

yousmell Member

Go to settings in messaging app..just like the note note 2 and s3 and s2
  6. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

No response how to change the white background for the phone dialer screen? I liked the darker look in the gs3.
  7. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

Is it possible to change the dialer to black or dark? I was afraid that it was stuck with white. And I hate third party dialers/ contact lists. I'm good with third party texting apps, though.
  8. JerZyT28

JerZyT28 Active Member

Im also curious about this
  9. crabman

Some folks hate third party dialers. I get it. That said I use dialer one. It uses the stock contact app which is appended to the dialer. This is old school but it does everything right. If any of you folks should give it a try be sure and go through the options and make sure that smart sorting is selected. This will keep your most contacted apps at the top of the list as you type the contact name in on the number pad. You can also set it up to swipe to the contact list, call log, favorites, or any combination of those. My advice is to only have contacts and the call log on swipe with the dialer defaulting to opening at the call log. Most of the people you would have on favorites will already be showing on the call log making that redundant and anything that isn't can be found faster by beginning to type in the name on the dial pad anyways which will also use smart sorting. For perusing the contacts you swipe to it and browse.

Some of you folks are old hands and will know what you like having been around the block. Some of you however might not have been around that block just yet so the above is something you might want to try. There are some really sucktackular dialers on the market but there are also some very good ones. This might not be apparent to a newer user though because they may not understand how to use them properly because they started out on phones going through contacts rather than using the dialer as was done on S60 or windows phone. Thing is old school is faster and easier but you have to learn how to use the tool.

Food for thought.
  10. TheyCallMeBT

Dialer One doesn't look too bad. It seems like I tried it before, but maybe they've updated the interface since then. I might give it a try again. Can it integrate voicemail playback into it (through Google Voice) like the stock dialer does?
  11. crabman

Yep, just have to set it as the default voicemail. There may be another way but I'm voice all the way nowadays. You can always go back and forth. I don't remember the procedure as its been a few years but I did so for a while because it takes a few to get some people switched over.
  12. mdr76

mdr76 Member

So does anyone know how to change the dialer background colour? I saw a white one on the review videos but mine is black, and I want it white. Same goes for the messaging app.

Anyone?
  13. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

You have a black background dialer on an S4?
  14. mdr76

mdr76 Member

Yep.
  15. goonryan2005

goonryan2005 Member

Are you sure??? Screenshots!
  16. mdr76

mdr76 Member

With all due respect, I'm familiar with the difference between black and white, and therefore won't be going to the bother of taking a screenshot and posting it here. I'm certainly not in the habit of asking how to perform unnecessary actions, I'm asking because my dialer background is undeniably black. As is my contact list, and my messaging list.

I'll just wait to see if there's someone that knows whether it's possible to change or not.
  17. barryl85

barryl85 Well-Known Member

Mines is all black too.
  18. MBM7881

MBM7881 Well-Known Member

Could the black or white be possibly carrier related? I personally don't care for the black background. I hope Verizon's is white...if its carrier related anyway
  19. mdr76

mdr76 Member

I bought it unlocked. Maybe it's a regional thing.
  20. karen667

karen667 Member

Mine is black too. Is it UK phones that are black maybe??
  21. goonryan2005

goonryan2005 Member

Yea, it must be related to reigions. I am on AT&T and mine is white. I hate it. I wish it were black like every other Samsung released in the States.
  22. TheyCallMeBT

I'd like to see what it looks like, myself. If anyone doesn't mind, it'd be nice to see if it looks good. What carriers are those of you with black on?
  23. mdr76

mdr76 Member

Take a screenshot of yours and invert the colours in Paint!

Or alternatively, Google "black dialer background galaxy" and you'll see some there.
  24. barryl85

barryl85 Well-Known Member

25. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure why you are posting this.

I get you didn't want to post a screenshot to prove you had a black dialer.

But when others said they too had a black dialer but someone else wanted to see what it looked liked why not either take a screenshot for them to see or just leave it be?

Responding to tell someone to take a screenshot then invert their colors seems like it would be a bigger hassle then showing others that wanted to see it.