How do I connect Evo to Pc over wifi (computer to computer)

Last Updated:

1. richmath

richmath Member This Topic's Starter

I am trying to connect my Evo to my Pc (like computer to computer) is this possible. I am a newbie so I apolgize. I want to access my files from over wifi (not close enough for Bluetooth). Any help would be appreciated

Advertisement
  2. nukedukem

nukedukem Member

I use the lite (free) version of WebSharing. Works well for transfering one or two files quickly over wifi.

3. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Don't think you can do it but there are apps that let you control pc from phone. Phone my pc is one I have heard of.

4. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

5. richmath

richmath Member This Topic's Starter

ok great thanks for the info. I will try and post the results

6. bluem6

bluem6 Member

try estrong file explorer, does lan (wifi) and bluetooth..

7. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

I am using HomePipe Free. It works pretty well, I think, and has the added benefit of making your files accessible any time you have a data connection (3g/4g included) and the client is running on your PC. Awesome app, I think.

HomePipe Free - Android app on AppBrain

nzo likes this.
  8. system60

system60 Member

Is there any app that will let me steam files from my pc? My N900 could do it out of the box when connected to my LAN

9. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

What are you wanting to accomplish exactly? Is it just being able to recover certain files via your phone or are you looking to watch videos and listen to music off of your computer on your phone?

HomePipe will allow you to do all of the above, though it can be a bit slow from time to time when you are trying to stream music, for instance. That said, I would try it first and see if it is exactly what you are looking for, because it may fit the bill.

I "think" GMote can do video, but I'm not certain. I can say for sure, however, that it will stream music from your PC to your phone and that it works rather well. I normally use GMote the other way around in that I will have my PC connected to the home theater system and use GMote to control the music being played.

HomePipe is linked above, here is the GMote app:

Gmote 2.0 - Android app on AppBrain

10. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

Gmote will stream video, but only if the video is compatible with a player on the phone. IE: if the video will play off the SD card, Gmote can "stream" it. Keep in mind, however, the video file has to configured for streaming within the file itself, otherwise it will download to your phone first, then play.

I haven't found anything like AirVideo that does reliable on-the-fly transcoding and streaming (especially with subtitle support). Though, it's been a while since I research that.