How do I connect my Samsung Galaxy Ace to my PC via USBSupport

Last Updated: 2012-10-11 13:33:30
  1. lozzark

lozzark Member

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace yesterday. It came with a USB cable, so I thought you might be able to connect to the computer (windows vista). I tried just plugging it in, but then it said it was missing drivers. It was asking for driver disks, but none were supplied. I tried finding them on the net and downloading ACM drivers, but that did not seem to work. So I thought there might be some instructions (none in the box) so I went to the Samsung site and it said download a USB driver. I did that but it made no difference. It also said download Kies. Other users on the net seemed to advise against Kies, don't know why. I'm in the middle of installing it now, but it seems to take for ages. Anyone know why I can't find any instructions, why it is so complex and why may be it doesn't work?
    The Kies download took an age. Now Kies can see the device, but not explorer. I successfully sent it some music, so obviously it's a workable solution, but still puzzled why explorer can't see it.

Advertisement
    shohel2151 likes this.
  2. ayush29k

ayush29k Well-Known Member

Kies is a very bad software, literally the worst software ever!
    Go to sammobile.com and download drivers for your phone, that should work with the explorer. There are many other softwares and methods you can use to do everything that Kies can do and much more.
  3. lozzark

lozzark Member

Thanks for the pointer but I went there and it was bewildering. There were lots of questions I did not know the answer to. And I had no idea what I was meant to do. How do I work out what the drivers are for my phone? Are drivers the same as firmware? What is my operating system? How do I find that out? TBH your reply is very terse and you are assuming I have a lot of knowledge I don't have. Kies might be bad software, but at least I understand it, and for the time being it seems to work.
  4. ayush29k

Operating system of your pc or the phone??
    You need drivers for your PC, so that the pc can recognise the phone when its connected through usb cable and then you will be able to browse your phone's file system through the computer.

All information about your phone is in the settings menu, about phone.
    Firmware is basically the android software that you are running on your phone right now.

I'd suggest you read more before attempting to root, lack of knowledge will only result in more problems for you. Its better that you google for terms that you don't understand, browse the forums and read as much as you can before going with this.
  5. Woodyalex152

Woodyalex152 New Member

For moving files from PC to phone I use Cheetah Sync, which I find very effective.

Other possiblities include:
    Physically remove the Micro SD card and plug into your PC.
    Google Drive, however I find this does not actually load files onto the Android device, so you need to be in range of 3G, or wireless signal.

Hope this helps
  6. tbonetone

tbonetone New Member

i downloaded that kkies thing and managed to transfer some tunes at last!! why does it have to be this compicated - i now have this, i-tunes and amazon cloud as well as the windows stuff why don't they all talk to eachother better?!!
  7. ayush29k

You can just use your phone as a removable storage device.
    I mean just install Kies, that way all the drivers will be installed, then just plug in your phone and it should show up as a removable drive, just like you plugged in a pen drive. No need to use Kies, its just needed to provide drivers, you can also get the drivers separately from net and install them instead of installing the whole Kies software.
  8. lozzark

lozzark Member

Hi Guys,
    After downloading Kies, I have used it to transfer photos to my PC and music to my fone. These are the two most important things for me. The only thing I've found with Kies is that it is a bit slow to load.
    What I've noticed is that I cannot talk to the phone via Explorer unless I have Kies loaded also.
    It is easy to say that I could download the drivers separately, but I searched for hours to find a reliable source. They all wanted me to download driver manager and some sites say this software is unreliable : gives you the wrong drivers.
    I looked for Cheeta Sync, but I realised you need software both on the fone and on the PC. and again I was unsure where to obtain reliable versions. Hey I just wanted to move a few files about, not become a Galaxy Ace anorak!:confused:
    Having said that, thanks for your helpful comments.
  9. lozzark

lozzark Member

Hi Guys,
    After downloading Kies, I have used it to transfer photos to my PC and music to my fone. These are the two most important things for me. The only thing I've found with Kies is that it is a bit slow to load.
    What I've noticed is that I cannot talk to the phone via Explorer unless I have Kies loaded also.
    It is easy to say that I could download the drivers separately, but I searched for hours to find a reliable source. They all wanted me to download driver manager and some sites say this software is unreliable : gives you the wrong drivers.
    I looked for Cheeta Sync, but I realised you need software both on the fone and on the PC. and again I was unsure where to obtain reliable versions. Hey I just wanted to move a few files about, not become a Galaxy Ace anorak!:confused:
    Having said that, thanks for your helpful comments so fat.

"you can also get the drivers separately from net and install them instead of installing the whole Kies software"
    May be so, but I'd really love to know which drivers you need and where there is a reliable source. Presumably you know the answer to both ayush29k?
  10. ayush29k

Drivers are so easily available on the sammobile.com
    Log in at sammobile, goto firmware and files. Enter your type of phone, OS, Phone model and Country and click on send. Then go into drivers and it will give you a hotfile download link, just install that!

And if you still can't find the drivers then just install Kies and forget about it. Just connect you phone via usb, and click on mount sd card on the phone and it'll be mounted as a mass storage device, just like a pen drive or a flash drive.
    You don't have to use Kies for anything other than a provider for drivers, the drivers are installed along with it, you don't even have to open the Kies!

I don't know why you guys are having so much problem with this!
  11. lozzark

lozzark Member

Hi ayush29k,

You might think it is easy, but I have obstacles. First. To log in you must create an account. The anti spam threw me for a while. Some instructions would have helped! After logging in there is no firmware and files. You have to go to firmware and there is another tab called firmware and files. It wanted to know which operating system I was using. So I went to the settings and sure enough it didn't tell me. It said Android version so I guessed the OS must be Android, and later the web displayed 2.3.6. which matched. (You see how tricky it is for a complete novice - I was sort of expecting it to say operating system = something, but never mind). There appeared to be only one download possible, so I did that. It gave me a zip file with a big MD5 file and a small SS_DL.dll. This second one looks like a dll file. Now what do I do? I've never installed a DLL by hand before. So I googled it and lifehacker said copy it to System32 and run regsvr32 filename.dll. so I did and it failed SS_DL.dll was loaded but the entry point DllRegistersever was not found.
    What have I done wrong?:confused:

Thanks for your help so far, I'm just stumbling, but I feel I'm nearly there.
  12. ayush29k

Sorry i still don't see the trouble, maybe you are simply overthinking it or maybe because i am an old user so it just takes me to the firmwares page automatically whenever i open the website and i don't get to deal with the problems you are facing.
    This is how you fill it:
    TYPE: Smartphone OS: Android Model: (select your exact model number) Country: (your country and carrier if you are locked to any)

Click send, it will give you a list of available firmwares, you can download whichever you like, if you want to flash a new firmware. Under 'Additional Files' you will find Drivers, Flashprograms, guides etc. These are the drivers you can install if you dont have Kies, otherwise Kies will provide the drivers itself.

You don't know how to flash a firmware yet, you shouldn't have tried to run an unknown dll file on your system.
    You will have to download the Odin software from the flashprograms menu if you want to flash that firmware, and download the flashguide also, read it thoroughly and download any other files it mentions you will need, all the files are there on the website, you just have to look for them.
  13. lozzark

lozzark Member

Hi Thanks you for your help once again.
    I had difficulty because I did not know it was the entries under "additional files" that I was meant to download, but there are only two.
    The first did nothing. The second downloaded Odin. There was a sequence of instructions and I just went with the flow. I ended up loading Odin and that was as clear as mud: a screen display that just puzzled me. It obviously saw the phone because a stop start message occurred in a big box and a yellow box appeared periodically. But something triggered a dialogue on my phone resulting in the display of the android and a "connection". Then I noticed the autoplay screen came on the PC. I cancelled that and I was able to see the SD card via Explorer. So that looked OK. Then on the phone it said when finished disconnect. So I did and it went back through a dialogue I couldn't stop. I tried connecting again, but nothing I do either on the Pc or phone can make the phone talk to the computer again. Am I supposed to have it "tethered"?
    I would look at some instructions, if only I could find some. Saying they are on the site somewhere quite frankly is not a great deal of help.
    So having had it working once, I'm stuck again. It is all so opaque.
    After that I down loaded the only other possible download
    GT-N7100 Ireland (Vodafone) 2012 September Android 4.1.1 N7100XXALIJ N7100VFGALIC Download Unlock Info
    That took 12 hours, and after all that I am not sure what I ended up with or what to do with it.
    After I've sent this message I'll try reloading the PC and see what I can do.