• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I connect to the internet via my Android on Linux?

Forgive me for posting this in the wrong category, but I don't where else to post. I have a Samsung Galaxy Europa running 2.2 and I have installed Linux Mint 14 on my desktop. I don't know how to connect to the internet using my phone as a modem. Mint does not recognize the device at all. On Windows I can use Samsung Kies, but I don't know what to do. I am thinking of using Wine, but it might not work. Help?

Probably the easiest way to do it would be to use the phone as WiFi hotspot. Not sure if the Galaxy Europa can do that out of the box, you might need to install an app. That's what I'm doing as I write this post, tethering my Linux laptop to my Android phone via WiFi. BTW I'm using Linux Mint as well. :)

Samsung Kies is proprietary Windows software, so not quite sure how tethering works with that anyway. I've never used it, when I had a Samsung Galaxy phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones