• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I create a network on my Mac or Desire? (to use VLC remote offline)

alabaster

Jun 20, 2011
I have an app VLC remote that requires both my Mac and my Desire to be connected to the same network to work. However, when I'm not at home I would like to create a network either on my mac or on my phone that I can connect to so that I can use the VLC remote.

When I created a network on my mac it went smoothly. Except, it doesn't show up on my HTC Desires list of wifi networks.

Any help would be great.

I'm not sure if alabaster refers to ad-hoc network. He says the wifi network is not visible for Desire. I find it strange, because all b/g wireless networks (including ad-hoc) should be visible for Desire (unless SSID is turned off of course).

alabaster, can you give us more details, like if you are using a wireless router and trying to connect all devices with the same home network group?

Upvote 0
I think it is ad-hoc that I used. Basically on my mac I go into network settings and it says create a computer-to-computer network; it's actually showing up on my desire now.

If it's ad-hoc I'm guessing I can't connect which is why it's hanging on 'Obtaining IP address..'

I can connect to my home wireless network fine. I have a few apps that require a network to be used, like VLC remote, sometimes I don't have wireless router access. I was hoping that I could create a network between my mac and desire to use my apps when I'm not near a router.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones