1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How do i create a private calendar appointment?

Last Updated:

1. busted

busted New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello

I synchronize my HTC Desire calendar with an Exchange server.

How can I on the phone when I create a new appointment mark it as "private"?
    I do not want people at my work to see all my calendar appointments.

It was possible on my old HTC with windows Mobile.

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Well you want to add the appointment on a calendar other than your Exchange calendar. You have a couple of options. You should have a 'My Calendar' which will only be stored on the phone or you can create a new Google Calendar and add the opointment to that. No matter which calendar you put it on you'll be able to see all your appointments together in one view on your phone.

3. busted

busted New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello

Thanks for your reply but that was not what i wanted.

Actually I only want my Exchange calendar.

In Outlook calendar it is possible to create an appointment with a Private setting. That means that no other than yourself can se it.

I want to set that setting also when I create an appointment on the calendar on my phone.
    Just like I could on my Windows Mobile :)

4. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Oh I see. Just had a look in my Outlook and yep, there it is 'Private'. Never used it though as I wouldn't put anything on my corporate calendar that I wouldn't want my co-workers knowing about.

I've had a look in the phone calendar but I can't see any such option I'm afraid.

5. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

It looks like Touchdown supports private calendar appointments.

If anyone is a heavy exchange user, Touchdown is a huge improvement over the stock email and easily with the $20.

6. kathynew

kathynew New Member

I am also looking for the "Private" option. I like to have one calendar and don't necessarily think my coworkers care when my son is out of school or when I have a hair appt scheduled, etc. I have always been able to use the Blackberry to do this and it doesn't seem possible with the Moto Droid at this point (without paying for touchdown).
    As far as a corporate phone... the Droid is NOT. I love it for playing, but it just isn't practical for a corporate exchange environment.
    I am pretty sad, because I am told "Droid Does". When I have to now maintain 2 calendars, I can't really buy that line.

7. jev

jev Well-Known Member

You can simply add subcalendars in google calendar and decide which you want to publish and which have to stay private. It's the easiest to set it up in google calendar using your PC and than have your phone include the calendars you need there.

8. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

The problem is with Google calendar. This does not sync with the 'private' tag in Exchange. So you either have to use a separate calendar that does not sync with Exchange or use something that communicates directly with your Exchange calendar as has been described above.

I did a bit of searching around on this when I first got my Desire and on the Google forums its a know issue with no real solution.

9. alis

alis New Member

Ya I have the same problem....cannot tag my appt as private when I do it on my HTC sensation, previously I could do it on my windows mobile now only can do it on my outlook calendar. I'm quite disappointed with android. Any other way to do it? Thanks to anyone out there who can help........

10. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

I have 'Business Calendar' on my phone and sync it with Outlook 2010 on my desktop, so not the same situation as you. But the reason I mention this is because Business Calendar has a 'Privacy' tab when you are 'adding an event'. The options are 'Default, Confidential, Private and Public'. Now I have no idea how they would get matched to the Exchange Server settings but it wouldn't be too hard to test out. Just add your hairdressing appointment and see if you manager mentions it .... :D

Dave

11. jessica19087

jessica19087 Member

Hi, There,

I go ahead and create the appointment on my phone and then when I'm home, I open it in Outlook and mark it Private and click Save. It's an extra step, but I'm willing to do it to maintain only one calendar.