How do I delete apps I forced to the SD card??

Last Updated:

1. scudder

scudder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello...

Some of you might have seen my posts over the past few days indicating that I just rooted my phone a couple days ago.

Well, I began fooling around and I ALREADY caused a BIG PROBLEM!!:D

GOOD news is that I backed up and was able to recover using my Clockworkmod recovery option so I'm up and running.

Here's my problem...I installed Move2SD Enabler to free up some space on my phone and move apps to my SD card. I must have gotten a little overzealous and moved stuff I shouldn't have. I'm tried to be selective with what I moved but SOMETHING(s) I moved the phone apparently did not like.

What happened was I some shortcuts on my home screens yielded a message that the app "could not be found" or "was not installed." When I went to the app drawer, the apps I moved to the SD card were NOT showing up in the app drawer list. Then I launched "Manage Applications" the apps I moved on the SD card were listed but only with the package name (e.g., com.something.whatever) and with a generic dark-grey icon with a little "SD" in the bottom right corner. I could not launch any of the moved apps and also could not connect to the Market to reinstall!

Annnnyway, I fixed my problem with a Recovery.

What I want and feel I NEED to do now is to find ALLLLLL the apps I moved to the SD card and delete them so they do not cause a conflict (and, to just get them off my card).

Can someone tell me (1) where to find the apps I moved to the SD card?? and (2) how to find their location either using my computer (Mac) or Astro file manager so I can delete what I moved.

I am STABLE now and functioning with my backup...just what to get rid of the remnants that caused me problems!

THANKS!!

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

The only thing I can think of to do is move an app using the same program you using the MovetoSd app. Then look at the SD card for a directory that was modified at the correct date and time (when you moved the app). That should tell you if the MovetoSD app is putting the apps in their own directory or in a common directory. Once you know that you should be able to delete the 'orphaned' ones via either the PC or Astro File Manager (or comparable app). That is you can delete them using those methods if they are not stored in an ext partition on your SD card (you would have had to take some extra steps to create an Ext partition, so you should know the answer to that).

Also, widgets don't like to be moved to the SD card, so that may have been the origin of some of the errors you were seeing.

scudder likes this.
  3. scudder

Thanks for the suggestion...will try.

Follow up question with something else that might help me...is there an easy way (or any way) to find out the com.something.apk file name from the common file name? For example what would be the com.whatever.apk package name for the common app name "Zillow"?

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

sounds like you moved apps to sd card...did a wipe and flashed a new rom...and then the phone doesn't know what to do with the apps on the sd card...and now you have flashed back to your nandroid and everything works right.

try, prior to switching roms, run titanium back up to back up everything...apps and data...then after flashing to the new rom restore apps and data.

the only other way to prevent this is to move back to phone prior to or uninstall all of those aps prior switching roms and then reinstall them.

this of course only applies if I am understanding the problem correctly

scudder likes this.
  5. scudder

IN THE INTEREST OF NOT WASTING ANYONE'S TIME, I AM EDITING THIS POST TO INCLUDE THIS NOTE INDICATING THAT I THINK I MIGHT HAVE FIGURED OUT MY PROBLEM...OR RATHER, RENDERED MY PROBLEM MOOT. READ THE POST BELOW THIS ONE FIRST AND RETURN HERE IF YOU CARE TO CONFIRM WHAT I THINK HAPPENED. JUST TRYING TO KEEP FROM WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME IF UNNECESSARY :eek:

Here's my post before the note was added above:

I follow what you are saying...for FUTURE reference for me...but (and I apologize if I wasn't clear) I NEVER flashed a new rom. I unrEVOked my phone and then the ONLY "root-able" thing that I did was to use Move2SD Enabler to attempt to move some "phone only" apps to the SD card.

Chronology was the following:
    1. Root with no problem; install Move2SD Enabler
    2. Move bunch of stuff to SD card that was previously indicated "on phone only"
    3. Rebooted phone and ran into the problems explained in the OP above.

"Problems" included my ChompSMS icon "blank"/generic Android-looking, when clicked said, "app no longer installed"; apps that I moved to the SD card no longer appeared in the app drawer.

Since ChompSMS was an issue, I tried to move it "back to phone" but THAAAT was when the BIG problem were happening like not being able to connect to the Market to reinstall ROM Manager.

Was a good trial-by-fire at LITERALLY 430am (!!!) with a cold sweat thinking I wrecked my phone just 24 hours after rooting but I was able to figure out how to get into recovery mode and get back to where I was on Thursday with clockwordmod.

That being said, I'm STILL trying to figure out where "all the stuff" went on my card....where this "orphaned" apps are. Since I'm back to where I was a few days ago with my recovery, I thought it a GOOD idea to CLEAN HOUSE on my SD card to avoid any other potential problems.

Taking the advice of mhotovec above, I FORCE-moved ONE SINGLE app to my SD card (Antennas) to figure out where it was placed on my card. I used androlib.com to determine the package name to be "com.technolatry.antennas" and searched for that file on my card. I FOUND THE FILE located in a hidden directory ".android_secure" with the name "com.technolatry.antennas-1.asec" I am NOT familiar with any deep-level rooting/programming/hacking stuff but I ASSume that the ".asec" extension is something along the lines of "android secure" like the hidden folder in which the file reside.

NOW my issue is this, I am able to find the files that have been force-moved to the SD card but this is going to be a TEDIOUS process erasing those file. It appears that other files that I NEED that were PROPERLY moved to the SD card...apps that are PERMITTED to be moved to the SD card...reside in this .android_secure folder as well. I was HOPING to just trash the contents of the hidden folder and get rid of the .asec files but it appears that I cannot do that as I will be trashing properly SD-card installed apps.

NOW it looks like I have to use a program like "App 2 SD," view all the apps that are PERMITTED to be moved to the SD card, make sure I do NOT trash those .asec file or other associated files, compare that to the apps that I FORCE-moved and trash THOSE files.

So now that I RAMBLED (but hopefully gave you some more information about my situation to assist your thoughts) any ideas about how I can get rid of these orphaned apps that reside (somewhere?) on my SD card?? I guess now that I'm stable I can run Titanium backup, trash the .android_library folder contents and see "what I'm missing." I can then just reinstall what I might have needed and trashed.

I just do NOT know what apps I force-moved to SD. There were probably 60 or 70 of them!! I regained about 80MB of phone memory in the process...in the process of turning my phone into a BRICK that is!!:D

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!

6. scudder

:eek: HOLD ONE SECOND BEFORE I WASTE ANYONE ELSE'S TIME :(

I think I might have gotten LUCKY and FIGURED this out...WITHOUT having to clear out that .android_secure folder...

Using mhotovec's suggestion, I force-moved an app that was "phone only" to the SD card and searched for the .asec file on my SD card. I FOUND the app: had a modification of the PRECISE day and time (11/27 at 233pm) that I did the move. That then told me the directory where all the "move to SD" apps were stored.

I JUST REALIZED that the ONLY file in that folder with TODAY'S date is that ONE FILE that I moved as a test!! The other "orphaned" apps that SHOULD have been there from earlier today...around 1am when I was moving apps from the phone to the card...were NOT there!!

THEREFORE, I believe, when I did the clockworkmod recovery, the files that were "orphaned" and problematic on my card were WIPED with the recovery and my phone was restored to not only a working state from a couple days ago, but with the problematic moved-to-SD apps NO LONGER on the SD!!

Makes sense right?? Otherwise, I would NOT have just ONE, SINGLE moved-to-SD file with today's date if I moved 60+ apps earlier today, right??

THANKS TO EVERYONE!! I now know the directory where the moved-to-SD apps are stored but THANKFULLY don't have to delete anything in that hidden directory. It seems that that clockwordmod recovery did all that for me.

Now off to do a Titanium backup backup...

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Makes sense!!!!

8. scudder

Here I am searching and searching for stuff loaded on on 11/27. Didn't find anything and think "were IS this stuff hiding" not realizing that it probably ain't there no more!! :D