1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How do I disable certain apps?

1. boogaloo

boogaloo Member

I use Task Killer to free up memory throughout the day. I notice that everytime I launch it, certain apps keep reappearing.

For example, CNET Bar Scanner it would show up so finally I just decided to uninstall it.

I use corporate calendar, but not the regular calendar - any way to disable it? Same with the standard messaging app - I use Handcent. Another example is Verizon Visual Voicemail - I don't use it but it's there all the time.

When my Droid starts getting laggy, I just know to launch Task Killer and kill the apps that I don't need. Not sure if there's any other solution.

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You might want to spend some time reading up on Android and task killers before you assume you know how Android works.

For one thing, background apps don't use memory. You can easily create many more problems with task killers if you don't know what you're doing.
  3. boogaloo

boogaloo Member

@Takeshi. Thanks for the reply.

I did not realize that apps running in the background do not affect memory. When I first got my Droid, Verizon sent me a "tips and tricks" e-mail and Advanced Task Killer was a suggested app to "monitor/close" background apps. I'm surprised they recommended an app that could cause problems, especially for new users.

So if the phone becomes laggy, it is just best to reboot the phone and clear whatever was hanging it up?

Thanks
  4. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Keep Task Killer if you want, but just kill ATK whenever you are done using it.
  5. scorpicon

scorpicon Member

I just use TasKiller to kill large apps when I'm done using them. I find my phone gets laggy and the interface stutters if I let all the programs hang out in the background.

I think the idea behind Android's native task management is fine, but I wish there was a way to make it a bit more aggressive.
  6. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

The Spare Parts app has an option to control the aggressiveness of the way tasks are killed...
  7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I would definitely recommend keeping a task killer around just in case you need to kill a misbehaving app, or an app that keeps using GPS (which can really kill your battery).
  8. Telerding

Telerding New Member

Try "Autokiller" from the market. It allows you to control the Android's task management system.
  9. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

I have found the best way to use a task manager, I use task panel myself, is the Apps that launch themselves, place them on your ignore list. That way you do nothing to compromise the functionality of android, although it can be argued that using a task manager inherently compromises functionality in the first place. If you are smart about it, you should be OK. Android does a good job at memory management and allocation on its own.