1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How do I do this on Gtalk..

Last Updated:

1. spooksmcgee

spooksmcgee Member This Topic's Starter

When I set up my Droid X, it used my default gmail address for Gtalk. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no way to change your gtalk account to another account. My problem is, I want my girlfriend to be able to send me chat messages at any time of day through gtalk (she has a blackberry), but I don't want to have to set up my account as "always available," because I don't want people on gmail to send me chat messages and then think I'm at my computer and ignoring them when I don't respond. Before I got my Android phone, I was invisible 100% of the time. I can't set my account to invisible on my phone though because gtalk thinks I'm offline and forwards it to my email.

I saw that there is some kind of mobile indicator that I turned on in options, but I have never seen it actually work. When I view my gtalk account from another account it just shows me as a available and doesn't indicate I'm on mobile.

I thought I could get around this by setting up a separate gmail account ONLY to use for gtalk with my girlfriend. That way I could set it to Always On however gtalk will not let me add it.

So how can I possibly set up gtalk so my girlfriend can chat with me at any time of day, yet I can keep my status as invisible so none of my gmail friends can? Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. the andy herman

the andy herman New Member

why dont you have your lady just text you?

3. spooksmcgee

Because 160 characters is not enough, and it costs 20 cents a text to send.

4. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Interesting problem.

I *think* you may only be able to completely sign out of your Google account and sign in with the new one. Not very smooth though. I don't think you can sign out of services individually. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Another option may be to chat with her on another service that you have less friends on. Both you have access to MSN and Yahoo chat clients on both devices.

5. Prongs

Prongs Member

Invisible works for me. Something wrong with your gmail account. Do you fancy the away status? or the do not disturb status? I have done that before i went invisible and people don't usually bother either.

Try logging out of the gtalk by going to Google Talk and clicking on launch google talk and signing in and signing out. That way Google finds out the third party problem and logs you out from all places. Now try the invisible option again and see if it works.

Cheers

6. spooksmcgee

When I am invisible, I thought that the messages were sent as SMS messages since it shows you as offline. The other problem, is that if I am logged into gchat and have my phone on, it will not sync the chat messages. It sends some of them to my phone, and then it could send the very next message to my chat desktop. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I think a third party chat app may be my only option.

7. Floejen

Floejen New Member

deleted