How do I downgrade from 4.0 back to 2.3.6?

1. syatek

syatek Member

I updated from 2.3.6 to 4.0 via Samsung Kies, and I hate it

It so so laggy especially the keyboard and I dont like some of the minor visual changes.

How do I change back to 2.3.6 firmware? Thank you

Advertisement
  2. remulon

remulon New Member

I agree, ICS is not an improvement on this phone.

Have had the phone about 2 months, never had shut down due to a software freeze. Been two weeks since ICS, have had to power down four times now due to lock up.

I will let you know if I find the way to go back.
  3. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Hi folks. :ciao:

You can follow the sticky at the top of this page, How To Odin any stock rom, to get back to Gingerbread. Its pretty simple. Just read through carefully before you start.

Have fun.
    El Presidente likes this.
  4. syatek

syatek Member

Thank you so much, worked perfectly!
  5. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Great! Glad to hear it. Didn't take you long either. :D
  6. syatek

syatek Member

Well it looks like I'll have to do factory restore now...
    Im getting a ton of "Sorry! The process xxx stopped working! Force close" errors.
    Cant open contacts or messaging :\
  7. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Thats common. Do the wipe data/factory reset in recovery and the format cache partition.
  8. syatek

syatek Member

Excellent, thanks again man I appreciate it.
    Atma likes this.
  9. IBK

IBK New Member

Hello,
    I read the posts on this issue and my question is in relation to my phone and its compatibility to the instructions above.
    The model number is:GT-I9100
    The baseband version is:I9100JHLPC
    The Kernal versionis:3.0.15-1087786
    The Build number is:IMM76D.JHLPC
    Can I follow the instructions above?
    Many thanks,
    Ilan
  10. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Hello IBK and welcome to AF :hello:

No, if you used these files you would probably brick your phone. You need to try the Galaxy S2 International forum. That's the forum for the I9100. :)
  11. sleedeane

sleedeane Well-Known Member

You probably upgraded to 4.0.3, which is full of lagging and problems. You need to upgrade to 4.0.4, which is problem free.
  12. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

I have a few devices on 2.2 with no problems and am not really as insistent on updates as some are. That said, 4.04 on my S2 blows Gingerbread away.
  13. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

Yes, a factory reset solves OTA update bugs and lag. IMO, ICS is a definite improvement over GB.
  14. nelsonfam02

nelsonfam02 New Member

I cannot find the sticky at the top of the page? I am a newbie and just figuring this site out. I need to restore my wifes phone back to Gingerbread asap because of a possible failure. Any help would be helpful!!
  15. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

16. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

Been to stock many times and it seems gingerbread is the best for our phone. Samsung abandoned us long time ago. My contract is over in 4 months and I will just give my money to google they at least keep your phone updated.
  17. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

The ODIN instructions work fine. They fixed my Samsung splash screen lockup issue. 4.0.4 is working fine on my other S2. I never experienced 4.0.3.
  18. KatMills

KatMills New Member

Hello! I'm new to the forum. But I am stuck on Odin. I have downgraded my S2 to gingerbread 2.3.6 before & for some reason now it is not allowing me too. Odin just keeps on saying failed. I'm doing everything I did before also. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks!
  19. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Kat. :ciao:

Did you get it to work?
  20. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Yeah, sometimes Odin can be ornery. Try this. Unplug everything. Reboot the phone, reboot the PC and try again.
  21. sleedeane

No offense. But you really don't know what you're missing if you would just upgrade to 4.0.4 instead of taking a step backwards to 2.3.6.
    Just my two cents.
  22. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

2.3.6 is much much better than 4.0.4. If it is stock ICS it is absolute trash. I do not know whether it is because of Touchwiz but things really do not work correctly. Games lag, the entire system is sluggish and force close are regular ocurrances and yes that is on a stock rom. When I had ICS there was no day in which I did not restart my phone at lease once but now with gingerbread I can go a week or 2 without the need for a restart.

Maybe completely pure android ICS was decent like the one on the Galaxy nexus but with these skins it is absolute garbage. Samsung is a horrible vendor which does not update it's devices gaping security holes are ignored because they want to make you buy the next device even though you have just bought the phone. They are turning out to be worse than apple and when I switched from the Iphone I didn't think there was anything worse.

Just my 3 cents : ) !!!!
  23. sleedeane

I think you had something else going on. I doubt many agree with you.
  24. Manodedios

Manodedios Well-Known Member

I have to agree, cm 10.1 blows GB away. I don't reboot my phone unless I'm flashing something. I'm running the latest nightly using cerux kernel 1.46 latest gapps and it is simply worlds better than your GB. I don't lag
    Period.
  25. sleedeane

Then you're sporting 4.2.2 JB, another good upgrade.