• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I enable Car Mode when not in a dock?

MrMister

Nov 15, 2010
I have a Sensation XE, I'm new to Android, and heard that there is a "car mode" to help when using phone in a car.

I don't have an official HTC car dock or other, I just use a car holder thing. I've looked on my XE and can only find a Desk Dock Mode.

I understand that if you have an official HTC dock, it automatically goes into car more, but can we do this manually?

It looks like a handy feature.

cheers

The Sensation hasn't an app or a widget for car mode.
If the microUSB plug has between pin4 and pin5 a 10kOhm resistor the phone goes the HTC Navigation app.
I have this tested ;)
It is exactly this what the official HTC car dock does.

Maybe the Sensation XE has a car mode as widget.
So have a look at your HTC widgets (maybe as download).

Harry

Upvote 0
Is there a video to show the sensation in case mode? What does it exactly do? Must have a screen with large icons on?

That app puts the audio to the phone I want it over my car speakers.

IOS found an app in the market that is full screen widget (so takes up one of my home screens) and displays 6 customisable shortcuts.

Ideally I would want the phone to automatically switch to this screen if my in car Bluetooth is connected to my phone.

Cheers

Upvote 0
The Sensation hasn't an app or a widget for car mode.
If the microUSB plug has between pin4 and pin5 a 10kOhm resistor the phone goes the HTC Navigation app.
I have this tested ;)
It is exactly this what the official HTC car dock does.

Maybe the Sensation XE has a car mode as widget.
So have a look at your HTC widgets (maybe as download).

Harry

Hi Harry,

Cheers for the previous info.

I just got a Kidigi car dock and was hoping it had the resistor installed which you previously described.
Of course as my luck goes recently, I don't believe it does.
Does not auto launch into Navigation or any App for that matter when docked.

I can't find any resources online regarding the HTC Navigation App for the Sensation XE. Can you please confirm that having the right car dock will definitely launch a Nav Car App when docked in the car for the XE?

I also noticed that the HTC One X comes with a "Car" app which looks perfect but seems it's pre-installed on the One X.
Any idea if I could get this on the Sensation XE?

Really want to get some sort of a Nav or Car app for use in the car.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just to add not sure if this soldering would enable the feature on the XE with the Kidigi?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1725904

Upvote 0
... Can you please confirm that having the right car dock will definitely launch a Nav Car App when docked in the car for the XE? ...

Hi millzyy,

I didn't remember what the Sensation's car mod had look like ;) so I've had to test it again.
Not sure, but I think, the outcome looks different after the update to ICS and HTC's last update.
And the outcome is not this nice Car Mode of the HTC One X :(

I have tested it with my breakout board and 10kOhm resistance jumping pin 4/5, like I did last year :)

Sensing the connector, the Sensation started the (HTC) Locations app.
On the lower left side of the screen is a tab "Quick Links". It opens a bar and on this bar one can choose (HTC) Navigation.

You should be able to do it too, simply starting Locations :)
... or from your contact's address in People.
But the XE might be different.

Harry

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Desire - Clockwork Mod

1) To enable Cardock go to an empty screen where you can add
icons/shortcuts
2) Press the bottom "Menu" key
3) Choose + (Add to Home)
4) Choose "shortcut"
5) Choose "settings"
6) Choose "car dock"
7) Press car dock
8) check or uncheck car dock as you please

Cheers

Marty

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones