How do I exit apps and stop them...?Support

Last Updated:

1. shantytownbrown

shantytownbrown Well-Known Member

Without going into menu-->settings--->apps--->manage apps---> and selecting force stop for running apps that should have been stopped when i left them...?

Or am I screwing things up by hitting "force stop"

e.g. espn app, cbssports fantasy football app, Network app...

none of these have a menu choice to "exit" or stop when i am done with them...

is this just an android issue...

OR...should i not worry about it 'cause its really not causing much battery drain?

thanks -in-advance

2. probinson

probinson Well-Known Member

I use a program called SystemPanel. It displays all the programs in memory (active or not) and I can terminate any that I care to.
  3. whtge8

whtge8 Well-Known Member

Those apps running in the background are not actually "running". It is just sort of on standby, to be able to launch quicker. Manually exiting these programs will not do a thing for battery life. Leave em alone.
    shantytownbrown likes this.
  4. Yep, Android is not like what you are used to in Windows. When android loads something into the cache or memory, it literally just sits there until you open the app. Its not using any cpu, and force closing it will just cause it to reload itself, using more battery.

That being said, I also use the System Panel Lite app. Once in a while I will go through and make sure nothing is using too much cpu. It also comes in handy for the once in a while app that locks up, I can go in here and close it.
  5. brushrop03

brushrop03 Well-Known Member

the back button. don't use the home button
  6. shantytownbrown

shantytownbrown Well-Known Member

I usually do, but sometimes I am finding I am hitting the back button way too many times...gets old, so I just hit home...

thanks all for the explanations
  7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Using the back button immediately puts an app into inactive state.

Using the home button puts the app into background state.

Neither modes drain battery (unless the app is designed to process something or use the radio in the background). Apps in background will automatically go to inactive state if you don't go back to them within 30 minutes.
    probinson likes this.
  8. takeyouriphoneandshoveit

takeyouriphoneandshoveit Well-Known Member

Incorrect, when Android loads your programs back up, it is using CPU. That is why they make a task killer.
  9. jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx Well-Known Member

froyo doesnt need em

10. Yes, when it loads them it uses cpu, but once the program is loaded, it just sits there, not doing anything until you open the program back up. And yes, froyo doesnt need a task killer.
  11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

"most" apps play nice with android's task management.

Others do not.

like facebook's fiasco of an update and some other apps I have recently tried that keep the phone in an "awake" state.

OP, I'd say that most of your apps aren't causing any issues, however it isn't impossible to get a rogue app that is indeed running the cpu/services

the real question is...are you actually experiencing battery drain issues, or does it just bother you to see all of those apps running?

what are your awake vs up times compared to what you have actually had the phone "awake"