• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I find out what app is causing my reboots?

Hrethgir

Android Expert
Feb 16, 2010
Salem, OR
My Droid X has been great until this last week, when it suddenly started rebooting quite often. I haven't been able to figure out what app is causing the problem, and I'm not really sure how I can find that out. I have aLogcat running, and I get a ton of 11862 errors (forget the rest of the rror right now, I'll update when I get back to my phone), but I can't link them to a specific app. Any help or tips would be great.

I think I finally got a handle on this. Looks like I had a two part problem. I installed Watchdog, which keeps track of how much CPU apps use and how much CPU is idle. This helped me find that the Flickie Wallpaper app seemed to be going rouge and using up a lot of CPU and causing reboots, so I installed it since I didn't even use it, which made me wonder why it was even using ANY CPU. It helped, but I was still having random reboots and high CPU use that signed to cause it. Finally, I opened an app that popped up a message saying my TTS library was old and pointed to an update in the market, and the market page said how to change my Text To Speech default engine. Updated the app and changed my default stuff, and everything seems to be running like it was. I think the old TTS was ePico and the new one was eSpeak. I forget what app I opened that told me about the old library, but if I do remember, I'll post up in case I can help someone else! By the way, my aLogCat files don't have all those failures anymore like it used to, pretty sure that was the TTS library having issues.

Upvote 0
I saw that you did not have any replies to this thread, but I have been having a similar issue. My Droid X is pretty new, but I was upgrading from an original Droid, so on the first day I installed all my old apps (via MyBackupPro and App referrer). My point is that I already have a ton of apps, and for all I know my problem is with one of them and not any of my new apps.

So my phone always randomly reboots, but it is fairly infrequent. My guess is that it is tied to my live wallpaper (because a lot of times it happens when my phone is idle and I am not even in an app), but I really have no clue.

I also use WatchDog, and I always have it alert me for CPU over 20%. I do not get very many alerts though, and the ones I do are pretty standard stuff that you would expect like NewsRob syncing up articles every 4 hours.

I had never heard of aLogCat though, so I will definitely look into that. I will also keep my eyes open for anything dealing with this TTS error you encountered. If you figure anything else out or come up with some other tips, please let me know!

Nate

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips! I was thinking that is probably the direction I should head in next. Since picking up catlog, I see tons of stuff running that I do not even use, and a lot of it is bloatware. Some of it is widgets I do not even have on my homescreen, but was included with Moto Blur. I read that you need to be careful not to delete any Moto Blur files, or you will brick your phone. So I will just have to be careful. It will be nice to get rid of all that extra junk though. That is bound to help me out some.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips! I was thinking that is probably the direction I should head in next. Since picking up catlog, I see tons of stuff running that I do not even use, and a lot of it is bloatware. Some of it is widgets I do not even have on my homescreen, but was included with Moto Blur. I read that you need to be careful not to delete any Moto Blur files, or you will brick your phone. So I will just have to be careful. It will be nice to get rid of all that extra junk though. That is bound to help me out some.
custom rom will have most bloatware removed for you already....
then when you are much more comfortable you can further remove things you dont ever use just to remove it....say email, bluetooth, whaterver.....

download to desktop computer
z4.zip
extract and put on sd card
- in phone go to settings applications and enable unknown applications then in to development and check usb debugging.
- use a file manager such as astro or whatever and go to your sd card and find z4root.apk and tell it to install it.
- open and run z4 root permanent install. if it doesnt work at first dont sweat it. close it and run it again. if it doesnt work at all, try another copy off the internet. (be somewhat patient while z4 trys to root).

then go to market and download super user and droid x bootstrapper.
use free copy of superuser, spend the dollar or whatever on bootstrapper.

then go around here and find your rom of choice.

download rom get it on your sd card. go to bootstrapper and click the top button then the bottom one....give it super user permission when asked.

once in recovery mode:
- go in advanced and wipe battery/dalvick
- back out to main menu and wipe data/cache
- go in to mounts and mount system and data (will say unmount once mounted)
- go in to insatll .zip, chose your zip, chose your rom zip and install
- tell it to reboot

once back in to android (expect a long reboot); skip through stuff and go in to settings/privacy and do a factory reset.
- once back in to android again set up your phone by following the directions.

once all done to a final reboot and then wait for google to reload your contacts/applications

- one big issue oddly when i see people root is to remember what their password to their google account is....youll need that to register again and get your contacts/applications back on your phone.

i recommend fission (2.5.7 check the xda website), liberty, or apex.
personally i use fission 261 (which is donate to get).

Reactions: bigshotproducer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones