How do I free up some RAMSupport

Last Updated:

1. snorander

snorander Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it even possible? While my phone was charging I looked at andriod system info and

Internal memory = 65% max:159.5 free:103.91

SDcard 99% max:7572 free:7507

RAM 35% max:191 free:68

I rebooted and it improved, but when I checked on it a few min later it had gone down again.

NO apps running (well except for Android system info), no task killer installed, haven't done a factory re-set in a few months...

the only apps I have installed are:
    Facebook for android
    google maps
    My verizon
    Camera 360
    Android system info
    star wars light saber
    Google sky map

edit: in the time it took me to type this it went down to 29% 191 max, 56 free :(

Forgot to mention stock phone non-rooted running 2.1

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If you've got 56mb internal phone storage under 'available space' then you're phone is fine. Mine regularly ran around 30mb free before I rooted, and other than dialer lag I didn't have any problems with my phone.
    To gain a little space you could clear the cache on some apps, delete old SMS messages if you have lots of them on your phone, or delete some apps. However *I* wouldn't be concerned enough to delete apps at this time. Cache and SMS removal should be considered just good housekeeping and be done semi-regularly anyway.

snorander likes this.
  3. snorander

snorander Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been deleting, messages, phone history & clearing the cache regularly. Same here other than dialer lag I have had zero problems with it. Tough getting used to having to charge it every night thought I could go a week between charges on my old "dumb" phone. I harly use the phone maybe 1 call a day and gmail here & there but only get a day out of it. But other than than I still love it!

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

From what I've read charging a smart phone every night is to be expected, regardless of brand or model. We do see on here folks saying they get multiple days on a single charge, but that's the exception, not the rule.

5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

RAM is the space that Android uses to run apps, and it manages the space just fine. My experience with stock Android (i.e., noot rooted) is that it tries to keep a minimum of around 20-30 MB free at any given time, and will suspend apps running in the background when the amount of free RAM reaches those levels. If you root, you can get more fine control of this (i.e., you can make those numbers higher.) If you have have 68 MB free, you're more than all set. Don't sweat it.

snorander likes this.