• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I get Albums (photos) app to start afresh?

prepbgg

Aug 25, 2009
UK
I had experimented putting a large number (>10,000) photos on the SD card, but Albums took very long to start up each time I opened it. So, I removed all the existing photo folders and added back a smaller number in new folders. The problem then was that Albums remembered the old folders and listed both the old and the new folders (and even included thumbnails for photos in the old folders where it had cached them.)

I tried various things to force Albums to forget the old folders:
- I turned the power off and on again
- in "Manage applications" I deleted the cache
- in "Manage applications" I deleted both the cache and the data
- I used Taskiller to kill the task
- I looked for a way, within Albums, of deleting a non-existent folder

Despite all these, Albums refused to forget the old folders.

Does anyone know how to persuade Albums to purge its memory?

Well, it seems to have sorted itself out now!

When I restarted Albums after writing the above post it again listed the old folders along with the new, but then after a while spontaneously searched the SD card again and is now showing only the new folders.

So, everything seems fine for the time being, however I'd still like to know how to force the program to purge its memory in case I encounter the same problem again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones