• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I get Email attachments?

Fredo181

Lurker
Jun 5, 2010
I just purchased my Droid Motorola. I got my email set up. It is Pop 3.
I get my emails, but cannot get my attachments? When I click open, it says fetching attachment and then the screen goes black and stays that way. I have to shut the phone off and then turn it back on to make it work again.
Is there some application I need to open attachments? I mainly get Tifs as attachments. Thanks

TV
I get my emails, but cannot get my attachments? When I click open, it says fetching attachment and then the screen goes black and stays that way. I have to shut the phone off and then turn it back on to make it work again.
Is there some application I need to open attachments? I mainly get Tifs as attachments. Thanks

Upvote 0
Can you open any other kind of email attachment (e.g. a JPG or TXT file)? If so, then perhaps you just don't have an app that can open TIF files.

Do you have an app on your phone (e.g. some kind of photo viewer) that can open TIF files? For example, if you drag & drop the TIF file from your PC to your SD card and then try to open it from your phone (by clicking on it from a file explorer) does it open? If so, then the problem would seem to be with your phone's email program (or perhaps the email server).

FYI: If possible, I'd highly recommend getting off of POP3 mail and moving to IMAP (e.g. Gmail & Yahoo) or MAPI (e.g. Hotmail, Outlook.com, & Live.com) based mail accounts. IMAP & MAPI synchronize your mail between all of your devices (phones, PCs, tablets, etc.) such that anything that's been read, deleted, replied to, sent, etc. on any one device is perfectly synchronized on all devices. IMAP & MAPI systems tend to intelligently cache-in newer emails and cache-out older emails to the servers so your phone's memory doesn't get filled up. POP3 doesn't synchronize between devices and it tends to clog up phones until they run out of memory, unless you're careful to constantly clean up the inbox and sent folder. Some (probably most) older email services, like Yahoo, started out as POP3 (before IMAP was created) but later added IMAP protocol, giving the customer the choice of upgrading to IMAP for free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones