How do I get more memory free??

Last Updated:

1. FUCCO

FUCCO Well-Known Member

I am running bb froyo 2.2 and when i look at the advanced task killer app it ususally says i have about 35 megs free memory. If i kill the running apps (which is not many) it will jump to about 50 megs. I remember running bb v1.1 and having 80-90 megs free all the time. I though bb froyo was supposed to have 100 megs memory free at bootup and 50 free at all times

Also, when i look at the phone storage is says 118 megs. I believe this is based on the 256 megs of internal storage the phone has. HOwever, i moved 90% of my apps to the sd card and i only gained a few megs of space. What gives with this??

2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Why do you want so much free memory? RAM that is empty is useless RAM in Android.

Also, if you had so much free internal storage why did you even move all that stuff to the SD Card? That's just going to make it load slower and screw up any widgets for those apps.
  3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. Android does a pretty good job of juggling memory. I do have a widget set up for Advanced Task Manager that lets me kill some running apps when I want to make sure there is no lag in a couple of games, but to be honest, it really isn't necessary.
  4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Yes, Android manages memory fairly well. But when my DROID has much less than 40mb, it starts to feel sluggish. I use the ATK widget, and I like it. A quick way to UNsluggishify (new word!) my DROID.
  5. FUCCO

FUCCO Well-Known Member

well i moved the apps to the card becuase when i was looking at the internal storage it was down to 85 megs. Since the droid came with 256 megs i figured i would move them to get more room for the future. I did keep all apps that required a widget or required useage if i am connected to the computer looking at the sd card.
  6. nstallion

Well to be fair, over 100mb is taken up by the OS and system apps. Most Android applications are less than 1mb. Unless you are getting really low I wouldn't bother moving stuff to the SD card, but that's just me.
  7. FUCCO

FUCCO Well-Known Member

thanks for the info... i understand the droid has 256 megs internal storage for apps. Where can i find out how much info is left for apps. Like i said i moved 90% of mine to sd card and my internal phone storage shows 118 megs. I thought it would be much higher than that
  8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

You guys are consfusing memory and storage.

Flash drive = storage

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
  9. nstallion

Settings > SD card & phone storage settings - scroll to the bottom.

Also, as I just said in my previous post, over 100mb of that 256mb of internal storage is already used up by Android OS and the system applications. That is why it only shows 118mb free.
  10. nstallion

Maybe he is, but I'm not :p

The Droid does have 256mb of RAM, but it also has 256mb of internal memory which is where the OS and all the applications are stored (other than the ones you move to the SD card).
  11. messenger13

No, I'm aaaaah ... pretty sure I understand the principles here. :rolleyes:

But since you bought it up ... are you saying that a flash drive isn't a type of "memory"??? Really?
  12. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I used to know all about memory but I forgot it :confused:
  13. IOWA

When "memory" is referred to by anyone who's worth their salt on a computing device, they are refering to RAM, and not a FLASH drive.

What is the difference between memory and hard disk space?
  14. messenger13

15. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

How entertaining, in a double standard sorta way.
    (-Cheers from the crowd-)
    "OH SNAP, Folks! -And it's a fantastic direct spell-check semen shot right to the side of the face of his opponent by our resident X-spurt in yet another forum circle jerk about "WhoKnowsMoreG'Damnit"!
    Ladies and gentlemen our defending champion's on a roll, and this time I don't think there's gonna be any retaliation by his opponent. How anyone can come back with anything of substance after such a stunning Billy Jack to the face like that one; well, Folks, It'd be the first time I'd ever seen one.
    No folks, it sure looks like he's down for the count, (Ding-Ding!! -More Cheers-) and the to the victor go the spoils of an even fluffier forum mega-ego!
    Congratulations to you, our 10 times undefeated reigning champ!

Now for our next bout...."

"POP-cown! Get-cha POP-cown! PEA-nuts! Get-cha fresh roast-ed PEA-nuts...!"

Oh relax, I kid, I kid. I know, respect by default. After all, "they" did ask you to be mod.
    It's so easy to see why they asked you.;)
    keepervq likes this.
  16. messenger13

That actually made me laugh out loud more than one. :D
  17. IOWA

And? That doesn't prove anything. You can turn a hard drive into usable os ram too, doesn't make it memory.

Try again.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
  18. messenger13

Place the word "virtual" before, and M$ would disagree.

IOWA, when you were 5 years old, I was learning Windows 3. I've forgotten more than you know about "computing devices". But keep typing. You rock! :cool:

And how's that lame Moment doing? Running Froyo yet? :D

I'm out...
    Buh Bye
  19. mhome

mhome Well-Known Member

2,313 vs. 3,679 posts with thanks/post ratios of .054 vs. .059, respectively.

Those are some heavy hitters. And I really need to get a life.
  20. IOWA

Lol serious homeslice? Just because your old doesn't give you any kind of wisdom or intelligence... So don't play that card, doesn't work.

I highly doubt you've "I've forgotten more than you know about "computing devices".

And technically, phone's don't have internal "storage", although new technologies are allowing fast/read write of ROM/RAM, using at as a storage medium, and this is also what SSD's use. This process is known as emulation as a hard drive. This doesn't make it storage, it just functions as one. Kind of contradictory I know, but heh.

I know I'm getting very technical here, but hey, it is what it is.

RAM =/= Storage.

And yes with newer technologies you can use the same hardware for either or, but they can't be both at the same time. o.o (Unless theres some kind of new partitioning I don't know about, which in this category is possible. Hmm research time.)
  21. nstallion

Wow. I'm sure this ridiculous arguing over the usage of the word "memory" is helping the OP a lot.
  22. IOWA

Lol... You got a point there bud.
  23. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

I'm sure in Iowa you know a lot. Now just let it go. The OP has moved on, so who are you trying to convince?
  24. IOWA

So what exactly are you trying to say about intelligence in Iowa. Eh?

Funny part is, I've never stepped foot in Iowa.
  25. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

I'm bored.