• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I get Pandora Music on my Android Phone ?

augustya

Sep 19, 2010
Ok, I am in India and looks like Pandora is on India's restricted sites list. When ever I try to download this APP from the market on my SGS-2 it gives me a message that Pandora is not allowed in your country.

My question is I anyhow wanna have this APP on my phone.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pandora.android&hl=en

What if I try to download it from a PC rather then directly trying to downland it from Market on my phone. Will this help ?

You have two issues:

1. getting the app on your phone
  2. using the app

In pure Android terms, if you can obtain the 'something.apk' file for the app in question, you could use USB or Bluetooth or maybe even wifi to move that APK to you phone and install it. This is a process called "side loading."

CAVEAT: Some mobile vendors have locked their phones against apps that do not arrive through their marketplace services.

So where might you get this APK file? You could download it, or someone else could download it and send it to you somehow.

CAVEAT: Some jurisdictions have sanctions and penalties for accessing or possessing or helping someone access or possess "forbidden" things.

Now that you have the app installed to your phone, you launch it, enter required settings, and ... {time passes} ... enjoy. During the passing time, the app must use the available network connections and services to reach from your phone to the servers. In return, the servers must use the network connections and services to return your content.

CAVEAT: Some jurisdictions scan their networks for connections to servers and types of content they consider "forbidden." When they encounter "improper use" they interrupt what is happening. These interruptions may be a simple denial of service or the authorities may visit you with dire consequences.

In Western civilization, we take the liberty to access what we want whenever we want for granted. There are parts of the world where that is simply not the case. Some of those places have severe penalties for the exchange of any ideas that those in power deem unacceptable.

Good luck,
~~~ 0;-Dan

"Freedom" and "Liberty" are two distict and separate entities that are often confused. In the absence of physical restraints, I am "free" to swing my arms and kick my legs any way that I please. However, I do not have "liberty" to do that in ways that make contact with other persons or another person's property. I am "free" to say whatever thoughts come to mind using whatever words I choose. I do not have "liberty" to falsely call out "Fire!" in a crowded place or spread false statements without ethical, moral or even legal consequences.

Upvote 0
You have two issues:

2. using the app

In pure Android terms, if you can obtain the 'something.apk' file for the app in question, you could use USB or Bluetooth or maybe even wifi to move that APK to you phone and install it. This is a process called "side loading."

CAVEAT: Some mobile vendors have locked their phones against apps that do not arrive through their marketplace services.

When you talk about Mobile Vendors do you mean to say that the phone which I use the manufacturers of this phone in my case Samsung Galaxy S2 so Samsung would have blocked it ??

So where might you get this APK file? You could download it, or someone else could download it and send it to you somehow.

CAVEAT: Some jurisdictions have sanctions and penalties for accessing or possessing or helping someone access or possess "forbidden" things.

I will give you an example my Brother uses a iPhone 4S Which he has got from the U.S and he very well uses and works fine in India so had it been a Government Law to not to let anyone use Pandora how come he can listen to it and that APP is working fine?

Now that you have the app installed to your phone, you launch it, enter required settings, and ... {time passes} ... enjoy. During the passing time, the app must use the available network connections and services to reach from your phone to the servers. In return, the servers must use the network connections and services to return your content.

CAVEAT: Some jurisdictions scan their networks for connections to servers and types of content they consider "forbidden." When they encounter "improper use" they interrupt what is happening. These interruptions may be a simple denial of service or the authorities may visit you with dire consequences.

In Western civilization, we take the liberty to access what we want whenever we want for granted. There are parts of the world where that is simply not the case. Some of those places have severe penalties for the exchange of any ideas that those in power deem unacceptable.

Good luck,
~~~ 0;-Dan

Well there could be lot of reasons on why a particular thing could be banned in a particular country or place we could get in to a entirely different discussion on it doesn't warrant it at this moment.

is there not any other simpler way ?? Can I not download it from a PC, like log on to the Market from PC and connect my phone via USB to my PC and the download it much like way iTunes works !!

Upvote 0
Typically the phone makers (Samsung, HTC, &c) and the mobile phone carrier (telecom company like AT&T, British Tel, &c) cooperate -- some say "conspire" -- over phone features. One obvious side effect is the load of built-in apps pre-installed when you get a new phone. Native Android has a config options to "allow install of non-Market apps." AT&T used to disable this option and then hide its existence from end-users. This effectively prevented side loading for all but the most intrepid phone hackers.

Does you Brother listen to Pandora(tm) on his iPhone or does he listen to music using some Apple-specific service? This might be a case where one vendor paid government fees while the other did not. It might also be a case where one vendor agreed to government policies about content censorship or intellectual property while the other did not. I cannot comment on specifics on speculate on possible motives and behavior.

The Pandora(tm) web site says:
Download Pandora from the Android Market
or
Visit Pandora.com from your phone
or
Use one of the available barcode scanner
apps on your phone to scan this QR code:
When I tried to "download" to my laptop, I got a dialog announcing "try a different device" -- probably because my laptop is not a 'droid anything.

You might find this Download APK directly interesting.

Upvote 0
You have two issues:

2. using the app

Good luck,
~~~ 0;-Dan

"Freedom" and "Liberty" are two distict and separate entities that are often confused. In the absence of physical restraints, I am "free" to swing my arms and kick my legs any way that I please. However, I do not have "liberty" to do that in ways that make contact with other persons or another person's property. I am "free" to say whatever thoughts come to mind using whatever words I choose. I do not have "liberty" to falsely call out "Fire!" in a crowded place or spread false statements without ethical, moral or even legal consequences.

So is that it?? Once I get the Pandora apk file and download via a USB to my phone will Pandora start working on my phone. But I will need the Pandora client for it right ?? And in the first place how I get it if it is not available for download in my country.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones