How do I get the cursor to go where I want it.

Last Updated:

1. aliveon2legs

aliveon2legs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is really the one issue I have coming over to Android form the iPhone. I can't seem to get the cursor to do what I want. If I mistype a word and need to go back and correct it, what do I do? On the iPhone, I would simply hold the part of the screen where I wanted to put it. When it was in place, I let up and it was dropped there. If I try to hold on the Android, an "Edit text" menu pops up.

This is even worse on Swype, which I just installed and LOVE, because it doesn't have the forward and back arrows. The only way I can figure out how correct something is to backspace one letter at a time until I get all the way back to the mistake. I actually ran into a situation where I moved the cursor to the middle of a sentence and then couldn't get it to go back to the end.

Advertisement
  2. MarqBland

MarqBland Active Member

If you're using the swype keyboard, then simply press where you need to go. If that doesn't get you to the spot you need, then just backspace from that word...no need to go all the way to the end then back space back to where you need. If you're using the HTC keyboard, there are directional arrows on the bottom. Hope this helps.

3. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

Just tap where you want the cursor, don't long press.

4. aliveon2legs

Well, it does seem to be working better now. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.

Another keyboard related question... Is there a quick and easy way to highlight a single word for copying/editing?

5. vokilos

vokilos Active Member

You actually can get arrows in swype, just swype from the button in the bottom left onto the SYM button and it bring up arrows and a bunch of other keys.

6. HatTrick327

HatTrick327 Well-Known Member

uh oh...he said the s**pe word...

7. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Yea.... I'm surprised nobody mentioned or found that yet, I was about to say something but vokilos beat me.

8. aliveon2legs

Cool. Thanks guys.

9. fayester

fayester Well-Known Member

I think this is the appropriate thread to post this question...
    Coming from a hero w/ a trackball to the EVO. When I would select phone on my Hero I would scroll down to a name of someone I just called and scroll the track ball left to right to see a list of numbers associated with that person (Home, Work, Cell, Cell 2 etc). I would then press the track ball to call the number I wanted. How can this be done on the EVO? right now I have to go into the People application, select a name which then opens the person's contact file and only then I can choose which phone to call. Any tips?