• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I get the default phone # to pop up on Dialer?

nunyabizness

Android Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2010
O-H...I-O
For example: If I want to call "Work," which I have 3 #s programmed for, and I press 9675, the # that pops up is the the first # that shows up for in the contact details, but it is not the one that I have programmed as the default. Are we stuck with this, there a way to change it and I'm overlooking it?

Irregardless of which number is inputted first you have the ability at any time to re-assign default status. It sounds like the OP tried this and for whatever reason her phone is not taking the one she programed as default. I just tried this myself. I have 4 numbers for my mother. I just programed each as default and dialed. Each and everytime the number programed as default was properly dialed. Sounds like you have a Gremlin nunyabiznesshttp://androidforums.com/members/nunyabizness.html

Upvote 0
When u make contacts, the first number you input for that name should be your default. So edit your contact and add the first number you want as a default first.

Irregardless of which number is inputted first you have the ability at any time to re-assign default status. It sounds like the OP tried this and for whatever reason her phone is not taking the one she programed as default. I just tried this myself. I have 4 numbers for my mother. I just programed each as default and dialed. Each and everytime the number programed as default was properly dialed. Sounds like you have a Gremlin nunyabizness

Thanks, guys. Just to clarify, I do have a default number programmed for contacts with more than one phone number, but I don't have those numbers programmed to be first in the list (they are in whatever order that the phone imported them from Google). So, saps, if you pressed in 666 for "MOM" :)eek:), then the number you have programmed as default for MOM pops up?

I know I can get around this annoying-ness by setting a speed dial #, which is fine for some contacts, but to me it doesn't make sense to do that for less-often-dialed numbers because I won't remember the speed dial # anyway. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys. Just to clarify, I do have a default number programmed for contacts with more than one phone number, but I don't have those numbers programmed to be first in the list (they are in whatever order that the phone imported them from Google). So, saps, if you pressed in 666 for "MOM" :)eek:), then the number you have programmed as default for MOM pops up?

I know I can get around this annoying-ness by setting a speed dial #, which is fine for some contacts, but to me it doesn't make sense to do that for less-often-dialed numbers because I won't remember the speed dial # anyway. :)
Yes that's correct. How did you know my mom's #? :thinking::p;)
Speed Dial is a work around. As is just creating multiple entries/contacts like Mom Cell, Mom Home, Mom Work or whatever. But in principle if you want something/anything to be dialed that you set as default it should dial the default. If it doesnt something is amiss with your device

Upvote 0
Yes that's correct. How did you know my mom's #? :thinking::p;)

LMAO! :D

Speed Dial is a work around. As is just creating multiple entries/contacts like Mom Cell, Mom Home, Mom Work or whatever. But in principle if you want something/anything to be dialed that you set as default it should dial the default. If it doesnt something is amiss with your device

Something is indeed amiss then. :( Guess swapping it out would be one way to get back that bloatware I deleted, huh? ;) Not even sure I want to mess with that, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones