• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do I get the ota update prompt back?

==================
Detailed Analysis
==================

- you have 1 frozen system apps; this may impact the ability of the OTA's apply_patch script to update these apps and cause the OTA install to fail

- there were 1 failed expressions; see below for the details about these tests that will cause your OTA install to fail

- there were no bypassed expressions (good!)

-------------------------------
Frozen system apps analysis:

1. ASUS Keyboard

statistics:

frozen system apps: 1
success count: 466
fail count: 1
ignore count: 465
partition count: 2
protected count: 2
bypassed count: 0

updater-script analysis details:

FAILED: line #290:

assert(apply_patch_check("/system/bin/debuggerd", "a2323a0c8e245e3879d6b8beff6b2c4802045271", "df2e705da097e4d535b4f4d98fab3bd76601e76c"));

(the above text has been copied to the clipboard)

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
==================
Detailed Analysis
==================

- you have 1 frozen system apps; this may impact the ability of the OTA's apply_patch script to update these apps and cause the OTA install to fail

- there were 1 failed expressions; see below for the details about these tests that will cause your OTA install to fail

1. ASUS Keyboard

statistics:

success count: 466
fail count: 1

updater-script analysis details:

FAILED: line #290:

assert(apply_patch_check("/system/bin/debuggerd", "a2323a0c8e245e3879d6b8beff6b2c4802045271", "df2e705da097e4d535b4f4d98fab3bd76601e76c"));

Okay,

Modman do you have Titanium Backup?

If so, unfreeze Asus Keyboard, then follow the steps I outlined to pull the OTA, and flash it via system prompts. Then you should be all set!

jmar

Upvote 0
Hmm, that's interesting...not sure why you'd have that one file that's out-of-whack with everything (and that file in particular--it looks like it's a debugging / stack trace daemon).

The first SHA1 checksum (a2323a0c8e245e3879d6b8beff6b2c4802045271) is the one that I currently on my N7.

Here's the debuggerd file from my N7 (4.2.2) contained in a .zip file: View attachment debuggerd.zip

Before replacing the /system/bin/debuggerd file with the one from above, I would take a Nandroid backup so you have some recourse should a bootloop or freeze occur (although I think that's a bit unlikely).

You would also want to un-freeze the frozen app too ;) :).

Cheers!

Gotta step away for a bit, but I'll be back in an hour or so...

Upvote 0
Oh, also, if you wanted to be absolutely safe, you could find and install the prior version of the debuggerd file--I could get that for you from the factory image files, but it'll take a bit of work to extract and probably wouldn't be until tomorrow.

Let me know if you'd rather do that...at least you wouldn't have any version conflicts with your current ROM setup...

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Actually I had to keep it frozen with the error on the last two otas.

No rush if you could get me the 4.2.1 debuggered file it would probably be safer.

By the way after the ota tries to start it tells me the year is 1969.

And I already have a prior twrp nandroid on a my book which I took
Before I reflashed stock recovery.

Everything on 4.2.1 is working right now except downloads and updates in Google play are broken.

Upvote 0
Modman,

Looks like the 4.2.2 OTA expects either 4.2.2 or 4.2.1 files.

I've extracted the 4.2.1 debuggerd file from the 4.2.1 factory image /system/bin partition for you (I have to put it in a .zip file in order to upload it here):

View attachment debuggerd-421.zip

Double-check your Android version (to make sure you are indeed v4.2.1) in your Settings before installing the above debuggerd in your /system/bin directory with something like Root Explorer. Also, be sure you check the permissions and ownership of the original debuggerd file before you replace it and set the new file up the same way.

Assuming you are 4.2.1 and you have installed the debuggerd file in /system/bin, re-scan the ota-verify-me.zip with the OTA Verifier app and let us know what it says.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0
Noticed a debuggerd.backup in there. Could try renaming that one first and use yours if the verify still fails.

Yep, that sounds reasonable...I'm still curious as to why that particular file got renamed...(I wonder what process you used would have installed a different one...I'm thinking something Chainfire would have created, LOL--he's crazy smart ;) :)).

Also, use my AFV app to calculate the MD5 checksum of the debuggerd.backup file vs. the one I provided you above to see if they match. That'll give you a little more information about the version of the debuggerd.backup file.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
==================
Detailed Analysis
==================

- there were no explicitly failed expressions (good!)

1. ASUS Keyboard

statistics:

success count: 467
fail count: 0

Gonna try the ota when I get home again if you give me your blessing.

Upvote 0
Go for it!

I'm not actually sure that the frozen keyboard system app will make any difference--I don't think I've seen any references to keyboards in the various updater-scripts that I've reviewed.

I think my reason for adding that particular check in the app was from reading about folks that simply renamed or deleted their system apps--that would certainly break things and keep things from installing properly in an OTA update, but there would or should also be asserts in the updater-script that would test for those items.

Anyway, let us know how things go!

:)

Reactions: jmar and Modman
Upvote 0
I originally flashed the ota with twrp installed and not stock recovery.
The debuggered.backup was corrupted also. Your 4.2.1 debuggered file fixed it when I replaced it.
Next ota I will make sure to flash stock recovery before trying to install the ota.
Voodoo root keeper seems to always restore root access. Why did Google decide to all of a sudden start using stock recovery for the install? The last two otas wiped out any recovery and installed. I just remember when the ota looked for stock recovery and it wasn't there it dropped me in twrp recovery.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Where can I get a fresh 4.2.2 image to flash through twrp if I can't fix Google play?

Creating an additional account doesn't seem to be fixing it.

I discovered something new creating a new user profile will allow you to update but only under the new profile
The old one remains broken. You have to reinstall all the apps under the new user profile if you want to use it.
The new profile is unrooted. That could be useful for running apps that won't run on rooted devices. Not sure if how you would root an additional profile. Wish there was a way to switch the default profile and replace it with a working one. Might try making a dummy gmail account when I have time to log into to see if logging out account then back in might fix it.

Upvote 0
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

This is a link to the factory images for all Nexus devices. Look for GROUPER.

Please note, these can't be flashed in recovery. You have to flash this whilst your phone is to your computer, through fastboot, from a terminal. Let me known if you need help with this. Gonna see if there is a simpler way.

BRB,

jmar

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones