How do I go about updating my rooted 2.1 Droid?

Last Updated:

1. The FlyerFly

The FlyerFly Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Motorola Droid running Eclair 2.1 that I rooted a few weeks back. Today I received the auto-update notice on my device, but I don't want to just go ahead with it and lose root access. So I am hoping someone can tell me how I should handle this. I would like to update, but only if I can keep root access as I have overclocked and run a number of other root-only apps.

Here is my device info... I'll try to provide as much as I can.

Model number: Droid
    Firmware version: 2.1
    Baseband version: C_01.3E.03P
    Kernel version: 2.6.29-omap1-P3Droid p3droid@MyDroidWorld #28
    Build number: ESE81 by Pete

I used the instructions listed HERE to root my device, and HERE to overclock.

Also, will it be necessary to wipe all my data to perform this update and re-root? And if it turns out that I am not ready to update right now, is there a way to stop the automatic notifications?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Advertisement
  2. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Grab one of the 2.2 roms, either stock or custom rooted. Load via recovery using update.zip method.

2.1 to 2.2 will usually require wiping of data. So I would titanium backup your apps and restore after 2.2 is loaded. Or if you only have a few, let google do the work and redownload.

Nandroid backup first btw, u never know ;)

The FlyerFly likes this.
  3. The FlyerFly

Thanks GideonX. :D Do you have any source suggestions for the rooted ROMs? I have just been using a rooted stock 2.1 ROM so far, so I'm okay with sticking to a stock 2.2 as well.

4. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Easiest way would probably be thru rom manager from the market. I think the free version let's u flash stock 2.2 rooted. Just remember to load clockwork recovery first.

5. The FlyerFly

Okay...so I have manually updated to 2.2 using ROM Manager after creating backups in both Nandroid and Titanium Backup.

Since I am trying to keep it simple, I went through the "Stock Images" menu in ROM Manager, and chose "Verizon Droid 2.2 FRG01B" as the ROM to D/L & install. The notes under the ROM title said "Stable, stock, odexed, unrooted/rooted choice".

Everything seemed to go okay. I did have a conflict with HelixLauncher which was FC'ing anytime I hit the Home button. I uninstalled HelixLauncher, with the intention of reinstalling it. However once I played around with the new stock Home screens, I didnt bother.

Then, I noticed that SetCPU was no longer running my overclock profiles as before. I was running a max of 900mHz, but now only had 800mHz available. No biggie. I figured I would just do a quick Nandroid backup and search for a new kernel.

But, I am now no longer able to access Clockwork Recovery either by holding "X" while powering up or through the ROM Manager menu. All I see is the exclamation point logo. Did this get removed from my device? I hesitate to make any more significant changes to my device without a Nandroid backup to fall back on.

BTW, I do seem to still have root access. Titanium Backup says it checks out, and I have had quite a few apps ask for and get root permissions since updating.

Oh...one more thing. :) All the stock Bloatware has been reactivated, and I cant disable it simply by using Root Explorer to change the file extension anymore. Do I have to use Terminal Emulator to do it the long way now?

6. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

Have you tried to flash clockwork again in rom manager ? Thats where I would start ... otherwise you may need to flash your phone with RSDlite again.

7. The FlyerFly

I tried flashing Clockwork again thru ROM Manager, and I was able to get it back up again. However, it isnt staying consistent. sometimes when I boot while holding "X", ill get Clockwork to come up, and sometimes ill get the exclamation point logo. And sometimes when I try to reboot into Clockwork from within ROM Manager, my device will just freeze at the "M" logo, forcing me to do a battery pull.

After reading through a couple other threads, it seems that similar problems are being attributed to Easy Root. I have never d/l'ed or used Easy Root, so that isnt the case here.

Right now, from what I can tell, my device is working perfectly fine and with root access other than the Clockwork issue. :confused:

8. The FlyerFly

A bit more info...

After searching around a bit for info, I flashed SPRecovery through ROM Manager and was able to get that to come up when rebooting while holding "X". I then booted normally and reflashed Clockwork again. I attempted to reboot into recovery and got Clockwork to load. However, when I decided to try to boot Clockwork again to confirm that it took, I got the exclamation point logo again.

So, am I back to reflashing with RSDLite? and if I do that, am I going to lose root or any data? im not sure if i used the same steps as everyone else. HERE are the instructions i used, which included flashing Clockwork in once rooted. The initial flash of SPRecovery made no other changes to the phone, so is it safe to assume the same now that I am updated to Froyo 2.2 w/ root?

BTW...sorry for all the cautiousness. just want to make sure I dont brick this thing, even though I've read plenty about how difficult it is to accomplish that.

EDIT: yet another update. I tried flashing both v2.5.0.0 & v2.0.2.4 of Clockwork, and had the same results. No matter what version I use, I cannot get it to consistently load. However, if I flash Clockwork AND then immediately reboot into recoverey from within ROM Manager, i seem to get it to load.

9. The FlyerFly

can someone please help shed some light on this? :)

10. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

The FlyerFly likes this.
  11. The FlyerFly

12. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

your welcome !!! :)