How do I install FROYO on EVO

Last Updated:

1. xcelprinting.com

xcelprinting.com Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'd like to figure out how to upgrade to Froyo, if this is better than 2.1, however I have a question:

I just picked up an EVO, which the seller said he rooted, and flashed to work on Metro PCS as well.

I asked him what method did he use for rooting, he said he did it manually, the long method which allows for complete access, I'm a noob so not sure which method this would be.

In anycase the phone attempted to do a "system update" as seen here:
    [​IMG]

When the phone rebooted, it came up with this error:
    [​IMG]

There was an Android System Recovery Menu, I just selected restart....so, any idea what that particular update was, and why it may have failed?

And regarding froyo, is this better than 2.1, if so, how do I go about updating?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Your phone was rooted, which means you wont be able to install any updates from HTC, hence the errors. And I don't know who you bought it from, but the Evo cannot be "flashed" to run on any other carrier.

And no, there is NO WAY to update the Evo to Froyo right now. HTC has to work on porting the update to the Evo. Estimates I have heard are before the year ends.

3. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

sitlet you are mistaken,

to the OP the update was the memory card fix but you can't install it because you are rooted... you can only put a semi working version of froyo on your EVO right now, many antennas do not work and nor does JIT which is the big gain in 2.2 so as functional ROM i'd stick with 2.1 for a while

4. xcelprinting.com

So once rooted, how do I update my phone?

I guess im use to my Pre, which was rooted but it still can run updates to webOS....so not the same on Android?

This seller seemed to be phone savy, he assured me that it was flashed, and I have seen others on craigs that said they were flashed...if anyone else can offer any confirmation as to the ability of being flashed or not, but honestly, it wouldnt matter as I wouldnt switch anyways...im more concerned with being able to update my phone.

5. xcelprinting.com

This memory card update, is it anything important?

And, how then doI install any of these updates with a rooted phone?

This is also a noob question, 2.2 "is" froyo right?

I was reading that froyo was stable....?

6. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

not really just fixed some issues people were having with the memory card not being read properly or not being mounted when using the camera... but for almost everyone out there just formating the card did the trick