How do I know if I'm hspa+42

Last Updated: 2013-03-31 10:43:06
  1. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Guest

I'm on T-Mobile s monthly 4g using the nexus 4, I see HSPA:10 and hspa+15?? So where exactly does +42 come in at?

This is at my house, haven't checked other spots yet

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. John Jason

John Jason Well-Known Member

Go find a T-Mobile tower, stand under it with wifi turned off, and run Speedtest. If you don't get much better than your thumbnail shows, you have HSPA+21. If you have HSPA+42 you should see download speeds of 10-20 Mbps or better.

An easier solution would be to call a local T-Mobile store and ask them if your area has HSPA+42.
  3. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Guest

gotcha, ill stop by my t-mobile store tomarrow and ask about it, probably do a speedtest while im in there
  4. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

Best to call and see. I know T mobile is re farming a lot of areas right now.
  5. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

It won't say "HSPA+:42" or anything, those numbers don't correlate to the theoretical speed.

HSPAP:15 or HSPA+:15 is the fastest I'd get on the GNex. I don't know if DC connections report the same, there are just two of them? Or if they show up differently. It also seems to me like since the update to 4.2, the phone will "drop" to HSDPA:8 or 10 when the connection is idle? So I rarely see the HSPAP:15 status anymore, though I still get the same download speeds I've always had.

I think mainly you'll know you are getting DC connections by comparing to a phone that is HSPA+ 21. If, in the same place at the same time, you get speeds that are 50-200%+ faster, you are likely getting a DC connection.

Or if you get speeds >10Mbps, you can probably safely conclude you are connecting as fast as is possible.
  6. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

Got this, this morning. Yeah, I believe it idles at HSPA:10 but I've never seen it go any higher than HSPA:15 so Idk.

Attached Files:

7. John Jason

John Jason Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be getting that speed if you were not HSPA+42. Plus Android Central says that Sacramento has HSPA+42:

List of all 163 T-Mobile HSPA+ 42 markets - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Starting sometime next year T-Mobile will be rolling out their next generation LTE, which will be lots faster than the LTE offered by the competitors. But you can't get a phone that can take advantage of it yet, so it's just a promise for the future.
    vw-porsche likes this.
  8. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

I'm in Vegas
  9. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Guest

I checked with my local T-Mobile and they said my area gets only hspa+21(Newark Delaware)
  10. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

Here is a list of the 163 markets where T-Mobile has HSPA+ 42. And it does appear that New Jersey (aside from the NYC area) and Delaware are not on the list. At the same time, this list is not current as some areas appear to have been upgraded since this list was compiled.
    tube517, KOLIO and Fuzzy13 like this.
  11. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Thank you ;)
  12. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Well-Known Member

So when it says hspa+15 in the settings menu, that IS hspa+42? Why does it not say that?