• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Do I Know If My GPS Works Without Internet Connection?

punkrgila

Lurker
Jun 3, 2012
hi guys, ok so two days from now i will be traveling to europe and even though i would definitely ask for real maps from hotels where im going to stay but i still need to know if my phone can help me :D

Basically i have been looking for offline map/navigation to help me in my traveling days as I definitely cant rely on google maps (it requires internet connection and most likely i wont change my sim card as i travel from place to place).

Now I do have navigon europe and I have downloaded the offline maps there. The thing is, navigon doesn't work like sygic or google maps where in those apps you can just use the map and not the navigation so you don't need to use GPS at all.

Navigon, on the other hand, requires GPS before you can start using the navigation. I dont use my android phone much so im not sure if GPS can actually work without internet connection. Im using Samsung Galaxy Nexus. In GSMArena, it's written it comes with A-GPS support so i believe it should work even without internet connection right?

because i remember that my previous phone, nexus one, wasnt able to use GPS without internet connection. I had nDrive in my nexus one and it never able to locate my location via GPS there without internet connection (it always needed internet connection).

With navigon and galaxy nexus, do I need to have internet connection to use it? If yes, what's the solution to be able to use offline maps/navigation from my phone without internet connection at all? Thanks!

*PS: I do have sygic offline maps too but sygic maps are not detailed enough while if i do search for location name/address in navigon, everything seems listed there in details. I know I can just go with "show map" in navigon but the layout there is simply too confusing and too "raw", if you know what i mean...so hard to use that one

Your GPS should work fine without an internet connection. Your Nexus one should have too. I wouldn't be surprised if your old N1 was set to only use location services though network locations and GPS was turned off.

To check it out, first install GPS Test. Then go to menu>settings>location services and make sure GPS Satellites is checked and Google location services is unchecked. Then turn of both Wifi and Mobile Data (menu>settings>wireless and networks>mobile data) That will force the phone to use only the GPS Antenna. Go outside for a clear signal and see if you can get coordinates on your phone. If you can, then Navigon should work just fine for you.

Upvote 0
I had nDrive in my nexus one and it never able to locate my location via GPS there without internet connection (it always needed internet connection).

I also use NDrive and it can work without data connection. I'm currently using it on my GNote. The problem is it can take a long time to get a fix on certain devices. My POS Vivaz Pro was not accurate or could not get a good lock on GPS alone unless it used data.

A-GPS (assisted GPS) means it will use the carriers data network (if available) to triangulate your current position. This should result in a faster lock time with the GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones