• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I know my battery is charged?

I just got my Droid today and it's been plugged in for a while. The battery icon has a ? on it. Does that mean it's still charging and what will happen when it is done? This is a Motorola Droid from Verizon and there is no white light next to the charger.

Thanks for any help!

If the white light next to the usb port is off then its done charging.

Upvote 0
Well, to partially answer my own question: If the Droid is off and you plug it in to the charger, it turns back on! Not something I would expect.

So apparently you can't charge it while turned off!

radioz
I have a Motorola Milestone.After the battery discharged I can not open it now almost at all.
Now it is completely turned off .I am trying to charge it....and i have the small white light near the charger .After a while the white light is touring off , the phone screen is opening and on the screen, is entering lock mode , and on the screen I have the message "connect the charger"(that is connected anyway).The battery status is "discharging" and the battery level is 5%.Do you think that there is something strange with this behaviour ?

Upvote 0
I have a Motorola Milestone.After the battery discharged I can not open it now almost at all.
Now it is completely turned off .I am trying to charge it....and i have the small white light near the charger .After a while the white light is touring off , the phone screen is opening and on the screen, is entering lock mode , and on the screen I have the message "connect the charger"(that is connected anyway).The battery status is "discharging" and the battery level is 5%.Do you think that there is something strange with this behaviour ?

Definitely strange. I would make sure the phone is powered off, pull the battery and replace it, making sure it is seated properly. I would also make sure there is no dust or anything else interfering with the battery and phone contact spots. Then I would charge it again. If that doesn't work, I think you need a replacement.

Upvote 0
Do you guys let the battery completely drain? I have always heard with the lithium ion batteries that you need to completely drain them before recharge. I sometimes do but its hard because if I don't charge it at night then it will die in the middle of the next day.

Actually the DROID has a lithium-ion polymer battery, and I'm pretty sure if not positive that you can charge it whenever you would like. Also it has no "memory" like older nicad batteries so there is no need to condition the battery.

Upvote 0
i downloaded an app called, "battery widget".. so i always know its percentage.

also when you plug the phone into your computer it will only charge if you mount the phone

No it will charge whether you mount the SD card (you can't mount the phone) or not. If yours doesn't then something must be wrong, I can do a quick pic/video to show you if you would like.

Upvote 0
No it will charge whether you mount the SD card (you can't mount the phone) or not. If yours doesn't then something must be wrong, I can do a quick pic/video to show you if you would like.

strange, for some reason mine didnt want to go past 30% charge according to my widget. the second i stopped using it on my computer and plugged it into the wall it fully charged.

maybe cuz the laptop i plugged it into only had USB 1.1? because i kept mounting it and unmounting it and never wanted to go past 30

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones