How do I know what ROM to use?

Last Updated:

1. FLepore

FLepore New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so I'm pretty new here, but I spent a good part of the weekend reading a ton of FAQs and threads on rooting and ROMs and what not.

I successfully rooted my HTC Hero after reverting it to 2.27.651.5. But now I'm stuck. Not technically; I'm pretty sure I can handle any process that is necessary (I think). As the title says though, I just don't know which ROM to go with. I've been looking at the following:

Fresh 2.3.3
    Darchdroid 2.8
    Froyo

I just don't know how different each of these are and what the pros and cons are. I read the "What Does Work" lists and they all seem pretty similar. How can I tell which is better? Do any ROMs currently have a functional camcorder?

As an aside question, can I do anything with the rooted phone and Superuser Permission access without installing a ROM? If so, how? I can't seem to find the answer to that one. The only thing that seems changed in the phone is that there is now a "Superuser Permission" icon in the settings, but as everyone probably know, that doesn't really do anything (or does it?).

Anyway, I hope these questions aren't ridiculous and haven't been covered ad naseum; if so, I apologize beforehand, but for the life of me I couldn't find answers to these specific questions.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Advertisement
  2. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

As far as how to figure out what ROM to use, just start flashing them and trying them out. You can nandroid backup each one so that you when you do decide which one you want, you won't need to re-flash and re-setup everything. As for what you can do without flashing a ROM, you can now install and use wi-fi tethering, titanium backup, and quite a few other root required apps. You can also now remove ANY app on your phone, including the Sprint bloat apps.

3. jschill31

jschill31 Member

If you like a stock look and want a snappy reliable everyday rom flash ZenheroFX. Flash the rom and get it all set up and then flash the 691 kernal. This rom is easy to set up and runs great. I would not try any roms that need daily flashes for your first try. Whatever rom you flash make sure you set up your sd card first if it includes apps2sd. The hero is a great phone once you remove the bloatware and get it running the way it was ment to be. Also do not panic and pull the battery on your first flash, it can take the phone up to 15 minutes to boot up after a flash.
    Good luck

4. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member

I'm running Fresh 2.3.3 and the camcorder works fine. Since it's your first custom ROM, you might want to wait on Froyo until it's closer to finalized.
    You can use any app that requires root access, including wireless tether, titanium backup, etc. And you can make nandroid backups. No custom ROM necessary for this.

5. Tomjh99

Tomjh99 Active Member

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm gonna wait for Froyo to be finalized before I root. I want all the stock apps like Sprint Navigation, Google Maps and Facebook contacts sync to be problem free.

6. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Nah, Froyo is pretty darn stable right now, no issues here:)

7. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

If you don't intend to flash a custom rom then rooting is nearly pointless. If you love the stock Sense UI, check out Nfinites stock rom, ZenheroFX, Fresh 2.3.3, or wait for the newest Zenexp to be released. If you can live without Sense ui, check out Darchdroid 2.8 or Rc1. All available roms are listed under the Android Development section under Cdma Hero on xda-developers.

8. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood me. I'm suggesting that you flash a 2.1 ROM and then flash Froyo when it's finalized. No need to wait for Froyo unless you don't currently need/want any of the abilities of a rooted phone at the moment.

9. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Froyo, nor any aosp rom, will have any Sprint apps so I hope that isn't what you are waiting for.

10. FLepore

FLepore New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the quick and detailed replies. I really appreciate it.

The thing is I do like Sense UI, but I don't like all the junk that comes standard.

That being the case should I get Fresh or Froyo? Someone said Froyo was stable, which is fine with me. My Hero was freezing and buggy with 2.1 already so I doubt it can be any worse. Also, I don't see myself using any Rooted programs like wireless tethering or what not right now.

11. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member

In that case, go with Fresh 2.3.3. If I understand correctly, CM6 (Froyo) is Sense-less.