1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

How do I make 4.2 suck a little less?General

1. rainynight250

rainynight250 Active Member

Ugh, not a fan...

Anyone know how to revert back to the old lockscreen, or at least get rid of the ugly bars on the side?

And am I the only one with increased haptic feedback after the update?

I tried downgrading to 4.1 but the update notifications were so frequent it was making it unusable.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Well-Known Member

The "bars" on each side of the lock screen aren't bars they're boxes that slide across the screen which you can add content to. Slide them across and tap the + in them.
  3. rainynight250

I know that, sorry I worded it weirdly. I'd like to disable it completely, I have no reason to add widgets to a locked device...
  4. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Well-Known Member

Don't know if you can do that but I've looked at it on my nexus 7 and by adding stuff the bar type things you're talking about have disappeared.
  5. rainynight250

Not with Gnex... Bummer, I'm hating this update more and more.
  6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

You can always unlock, root, and flash a 4.1.2 custom rom. If you don't want any extra options I recommend pure AOSP, but if you like a ton of options to customize the look and feel of your phone then I recommend AOKP Milestone 1 or Black Bean 3.2.4.
    Fuzzy13 likes this.
  7. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

Another option, would be to download the Factory Image of 4.1.2 directly from Google and install it.
  8. Petrah

You'd still get the update notifications though, wouldn't you? Unless I'm misunderstanding, the OP said he did that in the first post.

Knowing me I'm probably misunderstanding lol.
  9. yfan

yfan Well-Known Member

I'm actually loving the 4.2 update. I'm not much for the lock screen widgets, but I just simply don't use them. I love the two finger swipe from the top to get to settings and be able to see the battery percentage, the new camera software, including photosphere, and the overall more crisp look and performance.
  10. heat57

heat57 Well-Known Member

Why don't to use a rooted stock ROM from the guys at XDA developer forum. There are several stock, rooted ROMs that you can flash; so in principle you end up with a stock experience without the nagging 'update ready' problems associated with the Factory images/OTA updates. The reason is that as soon as the Google server notices that you have an insecure bootloader it will automatically stop offering the updates.
  11. Petrah

Wasn't sure if some knew, but AOSP is led by Google. It's basically the same thing as the stock rom but without all of the carrier bloatware or any of the fancy settings you find with most custom roms.

Weather you have Verizon, Sprint, or a GSM you can probably find an AOSP build to flash from someone on XDA.
  12. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

Can you do it without voiding your warranty is the question
  13. Petrah

So we don't derail the thread.. you can find the discussion on that here, and even join in if you like. ;)
  14. vandyman

vandyman Well-Known Member

For a good AOSP 4.1.2 rom I suggest Jelly Belly 9.4 and Gapps 11-14.
    You will be happier than a squirrel at a nut farm...:p
    LINK FOR DOWNLOAD.

Jelly Belly 10.0 is AOSP 4.2 w/ Gapps 11-17.
  15. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

FYI, you can hide those "boxes" on the lock screen by downloading an app.
    its called "lockscreen features policy"
    lets you disable the widget and/or camera

I personally LOVE the new update other than beeing less than stellar on battery life for me.
    rainynight250 likes this.