How do I manually update my Android Market?Support

Last Updated:

1. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Hey guys, its been a while (haven't had much to say lately)...

However... a few weeks ago I was having issues with the Market (downloads were freezing in the "installing" stage) so I "Uninstalled updates" in the Market application under "manage applications". When this happened, it reverted my market back to how it was pre the newer market update.

My question: does anyone know how I can manually update to the new market again? The phone did it automatically before, so now I don't know how to get the "new" market. Thanks! :confused::confused::confused:

2. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Hahaha! I asked the exact same question a couple weeks ago. Almost to the letter to your question above. I did the exact same thing you did with uninstalling and whatnot, but I did it because I wanted the newer version .2007 Android Market app. :D

I will say that after my Android Market app uninstalled it went from .1713 to .1712, but still functioned normally. Earlier this week I noticed that it had updated itself back to version .1713, but still no version .2007, which has the Android 2.2 features like automatic updates! :(
  3. JohnnyChimpo

JohnnyChimpo New Member

This might help ya. hxxp://
  4. eorourke

eorourke Member

Users still looking for a way to manually install the market update should checkout this article How to Manually Update Android Market | Eugene O'Rourke. It gives steps on how to update the market and it really worked!
  5. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

6. LBPHeretic

It should just show up eventually. It finally did on my Sprint HTC Hero.

Although, ironically, it did not show up until AFTER I rooted. Of course, that is all I did, just root, no downloading of a new Android Market .apk or anything or switching of ROMs. The update just happened to occur after rooting.
  7. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Heads up! Apparently, with the release of the new Market, the return period on paid apps has been reduced from 24 hours to 15 minutes! This means you no longer have enough time to fully try the app and decide if it is for you...Source
    DonB likes this.
  8. LBPHeretic

9. umangarsenal77

umangarsenal77 New Member

I have the same problem. Someone please help. :'(
  10. LBPHeretic

If you are on Android 2.1 or lower then you will not be able to update to the latest and greatest version of the Android Market. That is the newer version that has the tile interface.

Unfortunately, it requires Android 2.2 and up to work. If you wanted to update to that version of the Android Market, you would have to root and flash a custom ROM that has Android 2.2 or Android 2.3.
  11. RealMayo

RealMayo New Member

To manually update Android Market.
    On your phone, launch the internet and go to...
    h t t p : / / w w w . redmondpie . com /android-market-3.4.4-rolling-out-now-download-apk-now-to-get-it-first/
    Scroll all the way down and click on the link called "MultiUpload".
    On the next screen click on the button "Direct Download".
    Once it downloads, then go to your app listing on your phone and go to the "Downloads" app.
    You should see the new APK file for Android Market sitting there.
    Click it in order to install it.
    That's it, you're done!