• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do i move photos from S4 to Mac and other USB mass storage questions

Pandamedic

May 3, 2013
Hi.

I'm new to the android world after moving from apple to a galaxy s4 2 days ago.

I've got an sd card in my phone, but was wondering if anyone could tell me how i transfers photos and video that i have taken off the sd card and onto my mac.

I've tried taking the sd card out and putting it into my mac, and it says it's an unrecognised format and i can't see the card.

I've plugged the phone in with the usb cable and it doesn't show up on my mac either.

Someone mentioned about changing the usb option to mass storage like you can on the s3, but i can't find that option on the s4.

Any ideas would be great thanks

thanks for that. tried it and it didn't work, keeps saying can't connect to device :-(

Works fine for me. I wish I saved the link where I downloaded it from. Maybe here? How to transfer files between Android and Mac | Digital Trends

Just use dropbox. Makes it all super simple. Will auto upload photos from your phone and with it installed on your mac you can just view and move them around in finder easily.

Edit - I still have the version i'm using. I could email it to you? It's 2.7mb in size.

Upvote 0
It's not a version issue for Android File Transfer.

That worked reliably until one day Apple updated OS X just one more time, and then we started seeing problems that come down to individual Mac hardware/software <--> phone versions. It's happening across all Android.

There's a for-pay Mac solution, but the easy way around the problem is to try AirDroid. It's free and secure on your home network.

Groups of pictures will go into a zip file in your Downloads folder.

Upvote 0
My wife uses Dropbox on her Mac that same exact way. Easy to import into iPhoto because the Mac app binds Dropbox to the Finder, iPhoto sees it as just another folder.

Do they still offer the free 50 GB storage for the SGS4?

Dropbox to be included on all Samsung flagship phones and camera - Computerworld

If so, forget what I said, I agree on Dropbox for photos and videos.

OP, activate Dropbox on your phone, then on your Mac visit dropbox.com, sign in, and then go to https://www.dropbox.com/gs

Follow the simple steps to claim your free storage.

Upvote 0
Hi all, my new galaxy s4 just arrived and am trying to sync music from my itunes using double twist and it ask to turn on the mass storage option. pulling down the notification bar, the only option i get is 'connected as a media device', selecting this produces 2 options: media device and camera.

either is not recognised by double twist or two different sync software i tried as mass storage options.

can anyone please help?

i have managed to locate the developer option in settings and ticked the option for USB debugging...but still no sucess.

thanks

Upvote 0
My wife uses Dropbox on her Mac that same exact way. Easy to import into iPhoto because the Mac app binds Dropbox to the Finder, iPhoto sees it as just another folder.

Do they still offer the free 50 GB storage for the SGS4?

Dropbox to be included on all Samsung flagship phones and camera - Computerworld

If so, forget what I said, I agree on Dropbox for photos and videos.

OP, activate Dropbox on your phone, then on your Mac visit dropbox.com, sign in, and then go to https://www.dropbox.com/gs

I saw that you get 50GB for getting a Samsung device, however I didn't. How do you get the 50GB?

Upvote 0
Mass storage hasn't been removed from Android. If you have an SD card, you can still use it.

Yes it is. There's a difference between having it connected to PC in Mass Storage mode, than in MTP mode. You can access the SD card in either mode, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is not Mass Storage mode.

Upvote 0
I saw that you get 50GB for getting a Samsung device, however I didn't. How do you get the 50GB?

If it's offered for the SGS4 -

Activate Dropbox on your phone - open the app, create an account - then on your Mac or PC visit dropbox.com, sign in, and then go to https://www.dropbox.com/gs

Upvote 0
I logged onto drop box from the GS4 and then it gave an option to link it ot he samsung. I said yes, then i got an email from drop box how to claim the extra 48gb free.

There's a list of 7 stuff you have to do to get it free. you dont need all but thee is a minimum of 5 i think!!!!

1. Take the dropbox tour
2. install onto computer
3. put files on drop box
4. install onto other computers you us
5. share a folder with friends
6. invite someone to join drop box
7. install onto mobile device

once you do all that you get the extra 48gb free for only 2 years

Upvote 0
Believe me, that is one feature I miss in Android. My Droid Razr Maxx HD had USB Mass Storage Mode until the JB update. Now I cannot use it as a USB drive on my Kenwood car stereo. It also means I cannot access the phone at work as we use Windows XP and I cannot install drivers to it. With Mass Storage Mode, it would simply connect as a USB thumb drive would.

Upvote 0
If it's offered for the SGS4 -

Activate Dropbox on your phone - open the app, create an account - then on your Mac or PC visit dropbox.com, sign in, and then go to https://www.dropbox.com/gs

I logged onto drop box from the GS4 and then it gave an option to link it ot he samsung. I said yes, then i got an email from drop box how to claim the extra 48gb free.

There's a list of 7 stuff you have to do to get it free. you dont need all but thee is a minimum of 5 i think!!!!

1. Take the dropbox tour
2. install onto computer
3. put files on drop box
4. install onto other computers you us
5. share a folder with friends
6. invite someone to join drop box
7. install onto mobile device

once you do all that you get the extra 48gb free for only 2 years

I have all 7 of those steps completed, even got a couple friends to join. I have it installed on my GS4, it was one of the first apps I put on there. Still only sitting with 3GB of space total. Could it be because I have it installed on multiple mobile devices other than my GS4?

Upvote 0
Hi all, my new galaxy s4 just arrived and am trying to sync music from my itunes using double twist and it ask to turn on the mass storage option. pulling down the notification bar, the only option i get is 'connected as a media device', selecting this produces 2 options: media device and camera.

either is not recognised by double twist or two different sync software i tried as mass storage options.

can anyone please help?

i have managed to locate the developer option in settings and ticked the option for USB debugging...but still no sucess.

thanks

welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!

i moved you to the Samsung Galaxy S4 - Android Forums where folks who have your device can help you out better.

Upvote 0
usbmassstoragejellybean.png

MTP isn't installed in any linux distro I'm using and my phones show up as Mass storage. It was my understanding that if your device had a SD card you could still use Mass storage. Only devices like the Nexus line without removable storage were forced to use MTP.

It's vendor-dependent - but Jellybean says no way, and anyone conforming to the Android standard is removing USB mass storage mode.

I've an HTC One X-type that under ICS gave me a choice of MTP or USB for my sd card. With the Jellybean update for HTC, the USB mass storage option was removed.

And as mentioned by 007shark, the exact same thing happened with his Motorola when it updated to Jellybean.

This is the second time you've tried claiming that USB mass storage mode has not been removed from Android.

As chanchan05 said earlier - yes. Yes, it has.

If you've got a Jellybean device still offering UMS, then you have a non-conforming device. Personally, I wouldn't expect it to see it much longer.

But if a vendor wants to provide a different support model for their devices, they certainly may.

But that's vendor support, not Android support.

Cheers!

PS - if you use a minty-fresh Linux, it's easy to add, and MTP is now included with Ubuntu 13.04.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones