How do I navigate to SD card?General

Last Updated:

1. gdiddy

gdiddy Well-Known Member

On my home computer, I know how to locate folders and drives.
    But, on my smartphone, I'm clueless.

Can you please tell me how I can locate my SD card (internal and external) so that I can move files onto it.

Thank you.

2. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

Get an app like ES File Explorer.

If you mean how do you access them from your PC, just install the Samsung drivers and plug the phone into your computers USB port using the charging cable that came with the phone.
    gdiddy likes this.
  3. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

what jejb said.

I recommend ES as well, just because it offers a lot more functionality. But if you don't want to do that, Samsung includes the "My files" app that you can use instead. It is limited compared to what ES and other explorers provide, but if you just want to see files, or move some files around, that should suffice.
    gdiddy likes this.
  4. gdiddy

gdiddy Well-Known Member

I just downloaded ES File Explorer.
    Thank you for your kind advice.

Now, let me ask a couple very basic questions (forgive the simplicity of the questions).

1. What types of folders do most people put on the external SD card?
    2. Is there one or two particular folders, on the SD card, that is popular for people to place files into?

For example, with my home computer, I go to two or three folders alot for stuff.
    Is the same true for the SD external card?
    Can you lend me some advice on how you set yours up?
    For example for movies and particular.

Thank you.
  5. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

This is the default SD card folder structure. Note that Gallery and Video scan your entire SD card, hence why there's no specific folders for pics and videos. If you create them, it's just to help yourself organize.

Alarms/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as an alarm sound.
    Download/ - Default download folder for the browsers and most apps.
    Music/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as user music.
    Notifications/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as a notification sound.
    Podcasts/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as a podcast.
    Ringtones/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as a ringtone.
  6. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

What Darnell0216 said :)

In addition - the folder structure you define is really dependent on what you want. If you push apps to your sd card, you will notice the .android folder created automatically. Similarly, other apps will create folders on the sd card if you set the options to store to extSD (example: Camera will store most pictures on the extSD card if you set that option etc)

So, you will likely see some folders being created themselves, while you may have to create folders for other uses as Darnell suggested.

P.S. If you don't want some images to be scanned and displayed in your gallery, you can place a file in that folder with a filename of .nomedia (notice the "." before the nomedia). That tells the OS to ignore any media in that folder - or you can name the folder itself to have a "." (without quotes of course) as the first character, which will be treated as a hidden folder (not that apps may not be able to see that folder either though)