• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] How do I prevent and update to KitKat?

darkcyber

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
North Alabama
Now that I have finally gotten around to rooting my Note 3 it looks like Verizon is now pushing out the 4.4 KitKat OTA update, my sister got it today on her Note 3. So, how can I make sure I don't get it?

And if this involves freezing an app I assume I will have to do it for each ROM I have installed...correct? Seems like I remember reading that Hyperdrive had the OTA update part taken out. I am currently running Hyperdrive RSL7 4.3 (my primary ROM), JellyBean 4.3, and Stock. Those are my 3 slots.

TIA!

HD and JB block OTA's. And I believe if you tried, it would fail. I'm not sure what the OTA's check for, but if it doesn't match what your carrier software is expecting it won't flash properly. I don't think it will 'brick' the phone, it would likely revert to how it was before. I'm no expert by any means, just what I can gather from what I've read.

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones