• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do I prevent OTA updates?

Wazoo

Dec 3, 2009
I'm rooted and I manually installed 2.2 a few weeks ago, but a couple times a week I get a notification I have a system update. If I hit install later, it keeps popping up like every hour or something like that. If I try to install it, it just says installation failed. Is there a way to completely block OTA updates so I don't have to be annoyed with this anymore?

Depend on what Rom you are running? I am running FRG22 and this worked:

Try this (credit to girlluvsdroid and sinfuldragon) it worked for me:

Originally Posted by SinfulDragon
quoted from GirLuvsDroid

Hopefully, you have Root Explorer (and if you don't, I highly recommend it because it's so worth the couple of bucks). Here are the instructions to prevent to the FRG22D OTA update (which I was getting yesterday myself):

1. In Root Explorer, go to /system/
2. Tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on build.prop and scroll down to Open in Text Editor
3. Once the file is open as a text file, scroll down until you see the line that says: "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" and change it to read as follows:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys
4. Tap the back key and say "Yes" when it asks you to save (it will automatically back up the original file for you)
5. Tap Mount R/O at the top
6. Reboot

You will no longer get the OTA update notifications, because Verizon will believe you already have it.

That didn't work for me until I changed the line above it that says "description" to match, now there's no more update. Thanks!

Upvote 0
What version of 2.2 are you FRG01b, FRG22 or FRG22D? or a custom ROM?

If you are a custom ROM then go to the site that is home to this ROM and see if there are instructions on keeping away OTA notices.

Otherwise read on.

I am currently sitting at FRG22D Rooted Stock Odexed. Mine is the Stock ROM available from metiCkOne.

IMO if you are running a stock rooted Froyo either FRG01B or FRG22 then there is no reason you shouldn't update to FRG22D as there are Rooted options available both Odexed and Deodexed.

The three I know of are metiCkOne, Pete Alfonso(Bugless Beast Fame) and P3.

P3's ROM was a very early ROOT and was rooted differently than the other 2 and people have talked about issues with it.

I had used Pete's FRG01B and was very happy with it. I went to metiCkOne's FRG22D because his was out at the time and was reported to be pretty stable. Pete's FRG22D was a little latter in arriving.

I will tell you that I did not Wipe Data before I updated from FRG01B to FRG22D and had no problems. I will not get into this area of wiping data as everyone has an opinion on it. But going from same Version to Same Version as in FRG01B to FRG22D the consensus is that there is no consensus. Wiping is best best practice but up to the user as to what they feel safest with.(in going from a stock root to a stock Root, I think that is safe not to wipe as neither ROM has been extensively modified, It is the customs that have had extensive Ground up Mods or been rebuilt from the ground up that could give you the most trouble if you don't wipe.)

There is not much to FRG22D and it is really not that much of an upgrade at all and most people say why bother.

My thought is why not. Also I have 2 compelling reasons to upgrade.

1. It gets rid of the nagging requests to update OTA which you are complaining about. By the time your done fooling your current build into stopping OTA's you could have just updated with less fooling with the software.

2. Even though you can directly download and install Flash and bypass market and not need FRG22D, you loose out on update notifications (or if you want Automatic Updates) that you would receive if you had downloaded it from market and had the update push for Fash that comes with programs that have been downloaded VIA Market. (There has already been 2 updates for flash) After installing FRG22D and already having Flash I still went to Market and redownloaded and installed it and checked the box for Autoupdate now one less thing to keep on top of.

So given the rather Banality of updating to FRG22D and the advantages why just update and leave behind any OTA notifications to do so?

For me it was a no wipe 10 minute process through ROM manager. (I did do a ROM Backup.)

Here is a thread I started on Rooted Stock ROMS for FRG22D and the info gleened from it.

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/166584-frg22d-odexed-deodexed-available-pete-alfonsos-page-any-info-them.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones