how do i properly close out google maps when done? draining my battery..Tips

Last Updated:

1. HTC EVO

HTC EVO Active Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to properly close out googlemaps when i am done using it? I notice that there isnt a exit program selection button when i press menu so i just press home. Either that or i just dont know where to look. I notice that when i goto my batter life menu, it shows that Maps is running and draining my battery tremendously after just a minute of use.

Coming from a blackberry which i use googlemaps alot, if i just press home, the program will still run in which it drains tremendously as well. I had to manually select exit program..

Advertisement
  2. axisofoil

axisofoil Well-Known Member

maps WILL drain your battery quite a bit. It uses active GPS positioning. That eats battery like crazy.

To exit out of it, just hit the back button until it goes away.

3. oly_demon

oly_demon Member

I've read that hitting the back button until you get to the home screen instead of just hitting home works to shut down some programs. Cant say for sure though if this is the same for Maps. Curious to know my self. So far I've only used maps once, but dont recall if it stayed open after use.

4. HTC EVO

HTC EVO Active Member This Topic's Starter

I tried hitting the back button and its still there. I even disabled then abled the GPS and it still wont go away....

Maps is even draining my battery even more than Android System!.. Crazy!!

Only way is to power down (or battery pull) and i dont want to do that.

5. parkson

parkson Member

my task manager kills googlemaps after I am done using it.
    check the market:

task manager by Adao Team

6. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i have noticed the same thing... gmaps is always in the background. And shows as the number 1 app that uses the battery with high percentage.

but.. it does not affect the battery life.... i can get over 18 hrs from charge to charge. but that apps says it uses the most.

1. it is being miss reported
    2. we are not understanding the percentage report
    3. combination of 1 and 2

:confused: :confused: :confused:

7. jmaeishi

jmaeishi Member

In addition to trying to turn off all mobile, app/background data sync, gps, location, you can go to settings>applications>manage apps and force stop Maps or Sprint Navigation there.

8. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Just turn the phone off and on again. Soft reboot.

9. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Is one of the icon always active on the notification bar? If so, it is the one with the satelite dish and green bars coming from it or the circle with the cross? I leave GPS on all the time (and my battery life is good) and the circle with the cross is always there. When I open google maps/navigation the satelite dish icon comes up. In maps I can either hit the home button or back my way out of it and that icon dissapears. In navigation that icon also appears and I have to back my way out to get it to go away. You may also want to uninstall/reinstall google maps.