How do I put people in my contacts in groups?General

1. Sir_Burn_Alot

Sir_Burn_Alot Member

I want to send mass text messages to about 5 people in my phone at once. How do I group them?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Medic005

Medic005 Well-Known Member

Goto your GMAIL account, click on Contacts, then select the people that you want to move into a group, then on the Right hand side you will see a pull-down menu for Groups, just simply select the group you want to add the people to.

If you want to add a new group, look for the icon with a + and two people, click on that and name the new group.

Not sure how to send a message to entire group though, someone else should know that answer though...
  3. nathanirwin311

nathanirwin311 Well-Known Member

When you have the groups setup you just compose a text and press the add contact button. This takes you to your contacts and then you can tap the groups tab at the top of the screen and then you can select a group to send to.
  4. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Grouping contacts on the phone:
    Open Contacts.
    Select Contact to group.
    Select "Menu" then "Edit".
    Find the "Group" drop down and select the group you want them to be in.

Sending to Group:
    Once you have the group created, open up your contacts. Use the slider to select groups. Select the group you want to send too. You will now see an option to send group message or send group mail. :)
  5. Wyzer

Wyzer Member

SirSlayer, thanks for that bit of information!

I have some questions, and I hope you or someone else can answer them.

When I create a contact on my phone and choose it to be "Google" contact, it does not update to my Google account. Is there some kind of "sync" I need to do?

Is there a way to change it from "Phone" contact to a Google contact after it has been created? Or am I just stuck re-creating the contact from scratch?

Why do the 3 default Groups in Google, Family/Friends/Coworkers, not carry over to the Sprint HTC Hero in the "People" application?

Anyone who can help, your info is greatly appreciated!
  6. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, there is no easy way to change the contacts if you initially set them up as "phone" contacts to "google" contacts. There probably is a work around but everything I tried didn't work so, since I only have a couple of dozen contacts, I erased them and re-entered them correctly. This was pretty easy to do online from my gmail account. Once that was done, I went to settings>accounts& synce > and then synced google. Then back to the phone contacts and they were all there...no problem.
  7. joe a

joe a Member

I downloaded "Contacts Sync" and that changed allmy phone contacts to google contacts
  8. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Open People, hit Menu, select Import/Export and save to your SD card. Now go to your Gmail account and import contacts.
    On Android 1.5, there was an option to select "sub-groups" from your Google contacts. Why they removed this, I don't know.
  9. Wyzer

Wyzer Member

hallstevenson, your import/export trick worked great, thanks.

Now as far as the Family/Friends/Coworkers groups, for some reason those 3 default Google groups will not sync to the phone, if you create any other sub-group though, even calling it "Family" lets say, it will sync with Google and maintain the grouping. So as long as you create new groups, you are set. At least that is how it worked for me.