How do I recover photos after root?

Last Updated:

1. rinso

rinso Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I just rooted to KaosFroyo and am really liking it. I'm pretty new to all of this, but it went pretty painlessly. I did all the nandroid backups and was able to recover the one app I wanted.

However, I can't figure out if there's a simple way to get my photos back from my old rom. My contact photos (that I had taken with the phone camera) are still here...

I searched and couldn't find anything. If anyone can help I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Mike

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Rooting alone shouldn't have had any affect on your photos. They are stored on your SD card and rooting doesn't affect that. Unless you either formatted your SD card or set up a partition for apps2sd (which seems unlikely given that you are using Kaos, which doesn't work with a partitioned card).
    Two things come to mind:
    1) you formatted the SD card, in which case your photos are gone unless you backed up the card first.
    2) you're looking for an app named 'Photos' like you had before root. In Kaos that app has been replaced by one called 'Gallery'. Open that app and see if you can see the pictures you've taken.

3. rinso

Yes, "Gallery." I was hoping it was something simple.

Thanks!

4. Podivin

You're welcome.
    And now that you've had this little scare, may I recommend that you back up your SD card to your computer before you really do have a problem that causes you to lose your pics.
    :)

5. rinso

Is that just a drag-and-drop on a mac?

6. Podivin

I'm not a mac guy, so I can't say for SURE, but I suspect it is. It's drag on drop on a PC, I can't imagine a MAC would be any harder. *I* put a folder on my computer's hard driver very cleverly called 'phone backup', then I copy the entire contents of the SD card to that folder. And I do that any time I add enough stuff to the SD card that it would annoy me to have it be lost, which is about every 3 or 4 weeks. If I know which folders on the SD card have changed I just copy those, otherwise I copy everything that really matters to me (books, music, photos, nandroid backups, and Titanium backups)